Instant Ocean Won't Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishluv2367

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've had a 5 gallon bucket of RO water with instant ocean mixing with a power head for a few days now, there's quite a bit of salt that just won't dissolve. Can I add this to my tank when I do a water change, or should I just throw out this water and mix up more, I don't want to do that, but if I have to I will.

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you add a heater? I am guessing that may result in it mixing as sometimes in colder water, it clumps. If that doesnt work, then I would mix a new batch and check it.

OP
Fishluv2367

Fishluv2367

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can you add a heater? I am guessing that may result in it mixing as sometimes in colder water, it clumps. If that doesnt work, then I would mix a new batch and check it.
I was thinking that, but the water is already pretty warm, it's over 100 degrees where I live, so most water in my room easily stays in the 80s with no heater.

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you add the salt first or the water first? If you put the salt in and then put the water in, it will not mix as well. If your salt is old and hardened, it will also not mix well and your salt mix may no longer be good - the calcium, etc would be off. It may be time to throw that out as you don't want to pour it into your tank-unless mixed imo. If you throw it out and get ready to mix more, roll the tub of salt around to break it up then put water in first and then add your salt. I personally would not use saltwater with lumps of chemical in it.

OP
Fishluv2367

Fishluv2367

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Did you add the salt first or the water first? If you put the salt in and then put the water in, it will not mix as well. If your salt is old and hardened, it will also not mix well and your salt mix may no longer be good - the calcium, etc would be off. It may be time to throw that out as you don't want to pour it into your tank-unless mixed imo. If you throw it out and get ready to mix more, roll the tub of salt around to break it up then put water in first and then add your salt. I personally would not use saltwater with lumps of chemical in it.
I added water first and mixed a 1/2 cup of salt in at a time, I figured the salt was probably no good anymore as it had been in an open bag sitting around for about 6 months, luckily it was near empty and I just bought new salt, I wound up just dumping out that water and mixed some up with the new salt and everything dissolved just fine. Thanks for your help!

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I added water first and mixed a 1/2 cup of salt in at a time, I figured the salt was probably no good anymore as it had been in an open bag sitting around for about 6 months, luckily it was near empty and I just bought new salt, I wound up just dumping out that water and mixed some up with the new salt and everything dissolved just fine. Thanks for your help!
Yes, it sounds like it was a good thing you changed out the water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom