Instant Ocean Salt

Oarngesi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
did I mess up? I tried to mix salt in my tank before adding fish and a day later it isn’t clear I used 2 bags of salt which should should make 100 gallons in 125 gallons of water. I have two power heads pushing 2400 do I need to start over or will all this clear up? I researched it and it seemed to work for others. I put a heater in turned all the way up hopefully that’ll help

Attachments

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Generally it's best to premix and then add to ensure it's properly dissolved (ie in a garbage can on rolling wheels). It should clear up eventually.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree it should clear ..Mix it up with your hand and arm !
The garbage can on wheels suggestion is no joke or something that is just for some ..
Pre mixing after you have fish is ESSENTIAL !
What is your SG? Sounds like you should be lite ? I guess you are near .016 ,.017 ?

Oarngesi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

I got a 35 gallon hexagon tank I was going keep going just to mix salt

Last edited by a moderator:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your power heads will do a better job mixing salt up in a smaller container then the 125 ..Once you use one of them in your hex it should be good to go in 24 hours IME. Clear even quicker but most prep at least 24 hours ahead .

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
it's fine. generally IO salt takes awhile to mix and clear up. you just might need to point your powerheads toward the bottom of the tank to promote the salt to mix and dissolve.

Top Bottom