Instant Ocean Problems

wbc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys I have a 25 gallon tank which I have previously bought premixed water for and this time I decided to mix my own water with an older box of salt I had sitting around.
Well the salt just doesn't seem to want to fully dissolve. I've mixed it with warm water and a power head and tried diluting with more freshwater and there are still tiny white specks floating around all through the water column. The salinity is reading 1.024 and even after adding freshwater to make it drop as low as 1.016 there's still tiny white specks.
What gives?

Paul Russell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi guys I have a 25 gallon tank which I have previously bought premixed water for and this time I decided to mix my own water with an older box of salt I had sitting around.
Well the salt just doesn't seem to want to fully dissolve. I've mixed it with warm water and a power head and tried diluting with more freshwater and there are still tiny white specks floating around all through the water column. The salinity is reading 1.024 and even after adding freshwater to make it drop as low as 1.016 there's still tiny white specks.
What gives?
How long are you mixing it for? Typically I mix mine for 18-24hrs

wbc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's been about an hour. It's just weird cause I used it all the time like 2 years ago and normally after like 15 minutes it seemed fine.

wbc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright. Well that's what I'm going to start doing then. It's definitely cheaper than buying premixed saltwater.

wbc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My refractometer. I'm not necessarily brand new to saltwater. My hydrometer days are over haha.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah - IO takes a while to mix. Usually people let it mix overnight before use for IO salt.

I use Fritz and Red Sea - both are usually ready in 30-45mins.

wbc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hehe, just curious. Did you recalibrate your refractormeter?
Its been about 2 weeks sense I recalibrated it so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to recalibrate but I feel for now it'll get the job done.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom