Instant Ocean For Hermit Crabs

Discussion in 'Hermit Crabs' started by bettaf1sh 7789, Jul 8, 2019.

1. bettaf1sh 7789

bettaf1sh 7789Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    I’ve had my hermit crabs for probably 8 years now and I never really provided salt water on a regular basis, but I’m doing some work on their tank today and I wanna get a big dish in there for saltwater. I used those hermit crab salt water mixes many years ago, and I have heard bad stuff about them. I have a bunch of instant ocean laying around and I’m wondering if this is any good for hermit crabs? I also have a refractometer for my saltwater aquarium, so I’ll probably mix it up to around 1.025

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Instant ocean is fine to give to your crabs,candy many people reccomend buying it as a cheap, easy to source salt for land hermit crabs (and marine crabs too!)

Also something to keep in mind, ensure that the bowl is deep enough for the crab to comfortably submerge themselves (at least the the lip of the shell, but if you can find a container deeper would be highly encouraged) for both fresh and salt water.

3. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

bettaf1sh 7789Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Okay cool. I bought a new dish for saltwater today, it’s pretty big and a couple inches deep, so I think it should work just fine. I’ll mix up some instant ocean tomorrow am. They had a little waterfall going for a while that I built, but it’s become a breeding ground for bugs. Bummer, they loved that thing :(

Become a Fishlore Member