Instant Cycle?

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was wondering if I added an old piece of filter media from my 29 without the filter to the 10 gallon I'm trying to start will it insta cycle? Will the media itself cycle the tank or will I need the filter too?

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
spike98 said:
I was wondering if I added an old piece of filter media from my 29 without the filter to the 10 gallon I'm trying to start will it insta cycle? Will the media itself cycle the tank or will I need the filter too?
A few thoughts:

- be careful not to add too much from your 29 because it can cause a mini cycle in your 29 so you'll need to watch your parameters for a week or so after you do this.
- there is still likely to be a bit of a blip in your 10g so again, you'll need to watch the parameters for 1-2 weeks
- i think you can use cycled sponges without a filter, but my gut says you need a filter and should put the media into it.

but otherwise it's a solid plan

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you put old media in a new filter it will insta cycle your new filter as lomg as the bioload is not too high

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 2 hob filters on my tank a larger one and a smaller one. I'm using the media from the smaller one and have a new media replacing it (I kept the old one to help seed it). I also have 2 sponge filters but I'm currently using those to keep the cycle of the tanks I'm quarantining the fish I got. I bought two smaller sponge filters for the 10 gallon what would your estimate be for them to seed in my 29 gallon?

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The bio load is quite small. It's a diveded betta tank. So a filter is required? I also know water doesn't hold much of the bb but if I add tank water too will that help alittle? Additionally the sponge filters will likely return before I take the filter media.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I set up a new tank, I grab a piece of filter media from an established tank and use it in the new tank's filter.

It jump starts the cycle and makes the whole process go by faster. I do believe that bacteria need movement, so yes a filter is needed to keep up the cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom