Instant Cycle? 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Shivermetimbers, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Shivermetimbers

Shivermetimbers Valued Member Member

I recently set up a 40 gallon breeder. Added water to it one week ago today. Substrate is some black sand and also fluorite over eco complete separated by rocks. When I first set up the tank I ran the filter (Aquaclear 110) with just a sponge in it to get out any debris and dust that were kicked up (both substrates were rinsed prior to putting in tank). Tank was a bit cloudy that first night but had cleared almost completely the next day.

Saturday 4/7 I added a fine filter floss as well as 2 bags of seeded bio rings to my aquaclear 110. One bag had been seeding in a friends slightly overstocked 55 gallon for about a week and half, and the other bag of rings was seeded in another heavily stocked 55 gallon for over a month. Tank is planted 2 anubias, 2 java fern and a small rosette sword and added 2 platy and 1 molly to the tank since I had all the seeded media.

Last night I tested the water with API master kit and came up with:
    Ammonia = 0 (slightest greenish tint but way more yellow than the lowest .25ppm reading so I am saying 0)
    Nitrites = 0 (nice blue color)
    Nitrates = 5 (dark yellow/light orange)

Did I instantly cycle the tank? I will keep an eye on readings, but if things look good (other than a bacteria bloom/cloudy water issue which I posted in another thread) am I good to add some more stock in a few days?

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like an instant cycle :) congrats. It doesn't always go that smoothly. I have trouble using seeded media to start a new tank because my tap water has between .25 and .5 ammonia. So even seeded filter media has trouble catching up with 100% new water with that much ammonia in it!!

Add new fish slowly and keep checking the levels. But it sounds like you are good to go!

3. OP
    OP
    Shivermetimbers

Shivermetimbers Valued Member Member

Thanks for the reply and Good to hear, I was expecting a bit more than my dark yellow low nitrate reading considering 3 livebearers but I guess it's only been a few days, and there are a few plants in there so I will keep an eye on things closely. I didn't see any readings spike as I tested when the water first got cloudy after I put the seeded media in and all readings were 0, now a few days later only change appears to be the low nitrates.

My concern at this point is the water is still cloudy from what i assume is a bacteria bloom. Is the best fix for that just patience and wait for it to clear? do I have to be concerned about any potential spike or disruption in my cycle or should it be safe to just assume that if the tank is actually cycled it will pass on its own?

4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

well....it can't hurt to be extra cautious. Maybe give it a week and if things are still looking good. Slowly add more fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice