"Instant" Cycle Questions

Peter M

I was recently gifted a 10 gallon tank. I purchased the same exact Aquaclear filter for it that I have running on my 20 gallon. Would it be possible to switch some media from the older filter with media in the new filter without crashing my cycle in the old tank? If that is possible, what media would you suggest swapping? The filters come with a sponge, carbon bag, and "biomax cubes" (not entirely sure what those are but they are supposed to help with bio filtration.

Also, I've had a sponge sitting in my 20 gallon for about a week now in the hopes that would help with cycling the 10 gallon. The Sponge wont fit in the Aquaclear filter, but i was planning on putting in the 10 gallon to help with the cycle until the filter media can catch up. Good idea or is that a waste of time?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Willj626

Switching some of the old filter media and sponge to the new one will help speed up the time it takes for the ten gallon to cycle. I would move the extra sponge to the 10 gallon it should help. I would switch a few but not all of the old biomax cubes with the new ones. If you want to move the old sponge into the new one that would also really help speed up the cycling process.

Upvote 0

Peter M

you don't think moving the old sponge will crash the cycle on the 20 gallon?

Upvote 0

FinalFins

An established tank can take a bit of damage before the cycle is really crashed. You may have a mini cycle for a few days but thats about it.

I asked mattgirl about it recently and she explains it pretty well so hopefully she can share her thoughts here

Upvote 0

Willj626

you don't think moving the old sponge will crash the cycle on the 20 gallon?
The risk is definitely there but if the tank is established its not a very big risk.

Upvote 0

Sorg67

I agree that if the 20 gallon tank has been running for a while, you can remove some material without too much damage. Might want to monitor it after you do so. Might have a little mini-cycle, but no big deal. Should recover quickly.

In addition to taking some filter media, you could take a few handfuls of gravel and put it in a media bag. Put the media bag in the new tank near the filter intake. I would guess that with some filter media and gravel, it would cycle very quickly.

That is assuming the 20 gallon tank is well established.

I doubt the sponge that has been sitting in the tank for a week will do much. But material that has been established in the tank for several months will probably help a lot.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

This is a little something I wrote up that can walk you through what you are planning. If it doesn't answer all you questions just please ask and I will try to help.

Upvote 0

Peter M

Very helpful, thank you everyone. Since the 20 gallon is well established (been running for two years) I think I will plan on swapping sponges and a few of the biomax pellets and monitor both tanks closely.

Upvote 0

COHiker

Last time I seeded with used filter floss for an established tank it still took about 2 weeks for my nitrogen cycle to stabilize. It was moving but spiking a bit.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bwood22
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
FitSoldier