Installing Canister Filter On Established Tank. Help!

Logan Weaver

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hello! I have an established 40 gal tank running on an aqueon 30 AND an aqueon 10. Looking to get a canister filter so I can get more filtration since I’m only at about 50% stocking but am running out of filtration capacity.

My question is what is the max GPH I should run on my tank (if it helps: 5 white skirt tetras, 5 rosy finned tetras, 5 guppies, 5 Cory cats, 3 mollies) Also how do I swap out the filters without disrupting the cycle like I did when I changed filters before?

Thanks!!

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can move over the physical media pieces to a canister. The biomax/stone thingies. It will transfer the cycle. You can also throw the sponge in the canister as well.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Max GPH depends on the fish and their feelings about current and turbulence in a tank.... But in general a good rule of thumb to follow is to have 10x the size of your tank in flow as a minimum. When using canisters it's a bit different as they have a lower flow rate but a much larger volume of media.

My 55 which has a variety of fish and at the moment has 2 ctenopoma, 3 Kribs and a variety of tetra plus a few platy has 764 gph plus a 20g sponge... But that's split between one HOB with actual media for filtration, one with some sponges and a bunch of pothos and an eheim 2217. It's quite well filtered for the fish that are in it currently as I hardly tip 20ppm nitrAtes by 7 days. The sponge is just getting a cycle started for another project I'm starting up. I also have had a circulation pump running at 800+ GPH in the tank for other stock, that circulation pump is currently off since the current stocking is a bit happier without it.

Logan Weaver

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I’m going to get a Marineland C360 canister. What it sounds like everyone is saying is leave both of the current filters and add the canister.

Is there a certain amount of time I should leave all 3 in the tank? I want to eventually have just the canister so I can use the other filters for other tanks.

Swampgorilla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can "tame" almost any canister's output.

Just ... not with the output hardware that came with your canister from the manufacturer.

Go for max flow ... and then design and build your own output "diffuser" using PVC.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Logan Weaver said:
So I’m going to get a Marineland C360 canister. What it sounds like everyone is saying is leave both of the current filters and add the canister.

Is there a certain amount of time I should leave all 3 in the tank? I want to eventually have just the canister so I can use the other filters for other tanks.
Leave it several weeks.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say a minimum of 4 weeks if you're not transferring old media into the canister.

Logan Weaver

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DarkOne said:
I would say a minimum of 4 weeks if you're not transferring old media into the canister.
Would I be able to just put the old media bag into the bottom of the canister? What stage should I put it at?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Logan Weaver said:
Would I be able to just put the old media bag into the bottom of the canister? What stage should I put it at?
Rinse the media bag in old tank water and put it last. It depends on the canister but most filter from the bottom to the top. If that's the case, it should be placed on top.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom