Installing a heater in an already running aquarium

0x550x42

HI there,

I've got an 8g tank and I have installed a 50W heater into that but have NOT turned it ON yet (yes I have placed the heater under the moving water so as to evenly circulate the hot water).

So, Before buying the heater I had a nice plan in my mind to raise the temperature 1C everyday all the way upto 20C. But the problem is that my tank is now at 15.5C and the minimum that I can start with the heater is 20C!

I am afraid that I might shock the fish by starting the heater. Since, it's the first time ever that I have touched a fish tank heater, I don't have any idea of how fast it can raise the temperature of my tank and If it's safe to turn it on or not?

Please advice

TexasDomer

It shouldn't heat the tank too fast, so I think you can plug it in and get the tank to 20 C today. You can raise it by more than 1 degree per day too

mattgirl

I agree with TexasDomer. The heater will heat the water up slowly so shouldn't hurt your fish. Set it on its lowest setting and be sure to keep a close eye on it until you know exactly how it is going to work. I keep 2 thermometers in my tank (1 in a front corner and 1 in the opposite back corner) and check them often.

Dylandrewlukesdad

Maybe turn it on for a few hours and see what the temp changes too. Then you can judge how fast it will heat up.

0x550x42

So, the heater has been ON since half an hour and I don't see any change in the thermometer readings... Will keep updating

0x550x42

Hey! there seems to be some problem...

I can't understand why the heater is turning off without reaching to the desired water temperature? I've tried setting it to 20C and the light stayed ON for a minute or so and then went OFF. Then I set it at max and the same happened again!

I don't know why my heater is thinking that the desired temperature is achieved in a minute even when the powerhead is aimed at it! What do I do now?

Dylandrewlukesdad

Hey! there seems to be some problem...

I can't understand why the heater is turning off without reaching to the desired water temperature? I've tried setting it to 20C and the light stayed ON for a minute or so and then went OFF. Then I set it at max and the same happened again!

I don't know why my heater is thinking that the desired temperature is achieved in a minute even when the powerhead is aimed at it! What do I do now?

Fish tank heaters and thero's may not the most accurate.....

0x550x42

Ok I think I was wrong! The heater is actually working fine at max setting (32C) but it stops heating from 31C downwards...

TexasDomer

Does it actually stop heating, or do you see the light just going off? Maybe try setting the heat at 25 C or so, and give it at least a day before you change the dial again. Water heats slowly.

mattgirl

It seems everything involved in this hobby requires the patience of Job

If a heater is working correctly it will cycle on and off and I have found that it takes a while for one to heat the water up to your settings. It does it slowly so might take a day or two to get your up where you want it.

I would set it on its lowest setting and allow it to cycle at least 24 hours. Check your thermometer to see how it is doing but don't adjust the heater for at least 24 hours. If your water temp hasn't risen to the set temp then I think I would return the heater and get another one. With just an 8 gallon tank it should heat up to the set temp within 24 hours. HTH

0x550x42

Does it actually stop heating, or do you see the light just going off? Maybe try setting the heat at 25 C or so, and give it at least a day before you change the dial again. Water heats slowly.

The heater should be heating only when the light is ON so that's what I mean by "not heating" but I also checked the thermometer and there was no difference in the temps and yes, I did leave it ON overnight.

It seems everything involved in this hobby requires the patience of Job

If a heater is working correctly it will cycle on and off and I have found that it takes a while for one to heat the water up to your settings. It does it slowly so might take a day or two to get your up where you want it.

I would set it on its lowest setting and allow it to cycle at least 24 hours. Check your thermometer to see how it is doing but don't adjust the heater for at least 24 hours. If your water temp hasn't risen to the set temp then I think I would return the heater and get another one. With just an 8 gallon tank it should heat up to the set temp within 24 hours. HTH

Like I said in the previous post, I did leave it ON overnight and no difference was observed... And later on when I checked inside of a bucket at max setting (32C), the light stayed ON and the temp was rising like crazy!

TexasDomer

What brand heater is it? I'd see if you can return it and get another. A malfunctioning heater isn't safe.

mattgirl

I agree with TexasDomer. I sounds like you have a defective heater.

0x550x42

What brand heater is it? I'd see if you can return it and get another. A malfunctioning heater isn't safe.

It's Sobo 50W Aquarium Heater. I will go to my LFS tomorrow and see what can be done with this thing.

0x550x42

So, I went to the LFS today and took the heater along, they checked it and the good news is! IT'S WORKING NOW! I have no idea what they did with it but it's working from 26C upwards so I bought it home and now I have my tank running at 26C. Let's see how it goes for the next couple of days...

Feeling great! Thank you all!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• UnknownGuppyLover
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Taydee
  • That1FishKeeper
  • Heater