Insects ok to feed to fish?

Eaton

Hey, I have a bucket of water outside with these little insects. I know some of them are mosquito larvae but I don’t know the other ones is it ok to feed them all to my fish?

Frank the Fish guy

Yes. Natural fish food! I feed ants, bugs, and larva.

The only insects I find that my fish won't eat are bigger spiders and stink bugs. Anything else that they can fit in their mouth gets eaten.

I would strain out the water and just feed the bugs.

kansas

I read somewhere that some ants are poisonous. Is that true?

I doubt it but I'm always looking for something else to worry about.

coldpines

I have fed (rinsed) mosquito larvae to bettas before, they love it. Be sure the water they're in isn't contaminated with anything unsafe for fish though.

Eaton

yeah I was just wondering of the other insect thing was ok. I have feed mosquito larva heaps of time just not the other bugs.

TClare

yeah I was just wondering of the other insect thing was ok. I have feed mosquito larva heaps of time just not the other bugs.
Things like small beetles and flies should be fine. I would be wary of anything like dragonfly larvae. What kind of insects are you finding?

Eaton

More so water bugs like larvae. Theres this little black bug that kinda looks like a bug but moves like a mosquito larvae im not sure what it is. It doesent really matter anyway because im getting live daphnia next week

TClare

More so water bugs like larvae. Theres this little black bug that kinda looks like a bug but moves like a mosquito larvae im not sure what it is. It doesent really matter anyway because im getting live daphnia next week
They might be the pupae? Before hatching the larvae turn into pupae, hey have kind of big heads and little tails. They are fine to feed. Also the newly hatched mosquitos if you catch them just after they emerge.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
Replies
Views
hampalong
Replies
Views
AquariaUK
Replies