Insects In Freshwater Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Samuel Howard, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Samuel Howard

Samuel Howard New Member Member

Hey all!

I was looking and did not see a thread on aquatic insects such as Belastomatidae, Nepidae, Hydrophilidae, Dyticidae, Gyrinidae, Odonate larva, and Megalopteran larva.

I wanted to share my expirience with large Hydrophilids and I wanted to get some opinions on tank mates etc.

So I introduced a diving beetle to my tank as an ammonia source mid cycle thinking I would throw a cricket to feed it. I was supprised when it ignored the cricket for the brown algae! I has been DESTROYING the brown algae. I have a mesh with java moss that was covered in brown algae and it ate the algae without damaging the moss.

The beetle I have is 1.5 in and the hydrophilids are known to be scavengers or predaceous.

What do you all think? Are there any other people keeping insects?

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

That's fascinating! I'm always looking for ways to get rid of annoying algae. I looked up Hydrophilidae really quickly and there are thousands of species. Apparently, larvae are often predatory, so I suppose that could be an issue depending on the size of the fish. Recently, someone told me that she discovered a dragonfly nymph in her tank that had been eating her Endlers. Do you know if this particular beetle may give you some fish-eating larvae?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice