Insane Worm Reproduction. Id?

1. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

Holy cow guys. First post... creeped out enough to register.... Been meaning to anyway, I've had a lot of crazy stuff pop up in my waters.

Anyway, lookit.... What are these? They turn red when out of water.

Hi a little late, and thanks in advance!

Neglected to mention, I'm breeding snails in the tank. Ramshorn & bladder.

Attached Files:

2. DHIWZ Member Member

How long has your tank been cycling?

3. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

Quite awhile. I vacuum pretty frequently, it gets the big ones out... if I don't, they stick out of the substrate waving around. I'd say 3 months. But removed a few minnows and started breeding the snails about a month ago. Now, no fish. Just a ton of snails and a sheetload of those creepy worms. The stray baby ones wiggle through the water with some serious speed.
  4. DHIWZ Member Member

If you're referring to the giant mass of red worms in the center of your tank, I'd definitely say those look like bloodworms. Caused by low flow, low light, high amounts of food, and a lack of fish! Totally harmless, but make great fish food! I bet most tank keepers would kill for that kind of infestation :)

If they give you the heebie jeebies and you want them gone, just bring the fish back, they'll be gone in no time.

5. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

I'd slip into depression if they infested my beautiful main tank :-o.... thought alone makes me shudder. But neat idea, if you're sure that's what it is. Freeze to kill first? Tubiflex googles similarly, picturewise... How to be sure which ones they are?
  6. DHIWZ Member Member

Luckily for you, both make great food for fish! (Tubiflex is a little less good though, so if you're going to bring the fish back, I'd suggest using ones you're less attached to).
  7. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

I have fed the previous minnows frozen bloodworms... Is it possible they could have had dormant eggs? Is that possibly for these this to have a cryo-bounceback or something?

8. DHIWZ Member Member

Worms are some of the craziest creatures alive...dormant eggs seems like a possibility for how they got introduced. Either way they will make a fine delicacy, and since yours are bred all natural there really isn't any better food your fish could
  9. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

Everything sure is natural... Got most of my plants from local streams, for awhile there it was some new alien every week. Caddisly larvae, damelfly larvae, monster earthworms, limpets, multiple algae forms... Probably missing some... I also have a feeling this won't be the last, with my luck.

So if they aren't harmful to my snails, I guess I'll take the food suggestion. Thanks :).
  10. DHIWZ Member Member

Luckily for the most part this sounds like a bunch of nice healthy fish food. Just make sure you're cleaning your stuff properly, bleaching it and so forth. You wouldn't want to slip up one day and introduce some nasty parasite to your tank.

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like tubifex
  12. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

They do seem longer, and thinner than the frozen bloodworms that went in
  13. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Tubifexworms live together in clumps like this one.
  14. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

Just to catalogue a few more...

Attached Files: