Insane Nitrite And Nitrate Levels

Brandon711
Hey there, so I have been doing a fishless cycle for a few weeks now and after much trial and error I have finally achieved... well... something. I stalled the cycle at first by adding way too much ammonia and realizing nothing was happening. So I did a huge water change and got my ammonia down to about 4ppm, which is perfect for a fishless cycle.

I tested my water a couple days ago and found that my nitrites were off the charts which I was extremely excited about. Today (2 days later) I did another test and found my nitrites are well above 5ppm and my nitrates have to be at least 200ppm. I know that sounds impossible but after only 20 seconds of shaking the test tube it turned to the darkest purple on the chart. Have I stalled my cycle? What do I do now? I've decided not to dose any more ammonia for the time being but I am totally at a loss as I've never seen a post about nitrates being this high. Thank you in advance!

Advertisement
Hunter1
If you are still getting nitrates, it isn’t stalled.

I would do a big water change, 50-75%.

Then test.

If ammonia is 0, you need to dose back to at least 2ppm or the bacteria converting ammonia to nitrites will starve.

Brandon711
Did about a 60% water change, nitrites are still at least 5ppm and nitrates between 80ppm and 160ppm

I am afraid to dose more ammonia if it is going to add even more nitrites and nitrates at this point

Inactive User
More water changes (as many as you have to do) to get it down to a lower reading (2 ppm nitrite or so) then dose ammonia to 2 ppm. High ammonia/nitrite/nitrate won't stall your cycle at the concentrations seen in aquariums (see this post for more information).

The issue with high ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is that it makes it difficult to monitor changes in NH3/NO2/NO3 concentrations as our hobbyist test kits have limited resolution at high-range readings.

Lack of information about these changes in concentrations makes it more difficult to determine the pace of cycling and whether or not any other incipient issues arise.

CichlidDream
If you will stop dosing ammonia, you can kill your beneficial bacteria you've already grown. I had an 'insane' nitrites and nitrates readings in 2 tanks during nitrite spike stage. Looked through my notes: nitrite 20-30 ppm in one tank, and 30-40 ppm in another one, of course it is estimated values - test kit cannot give such a readings. Nitrates 160 in both(in my notes). I didn't WC until nitrates went down to 0. Then at least several days 0 ammonia & 0 nitrites readings. Then WC something about 90% - to lower insane nitrates. It is what I was doing. Every day I dosed ammonia to feed BB. Good luck. Hope it helps.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sorg67
Replies
Views
Skrabbitskrabbit
  • Question
Replies
Views
smee82