Input Requested On Stocking Plan #23478

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nada Mucho, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Nada Mucho

Nada Mucho Well Known Member Member

I've shifted thing around again after deciding to try tiger barbs then changing my mind. Then deciding to try red cherry shrimp... then changing my mind. So this is the stocking plan for my current setup which is...

3o gallon tank with black eco-complete substrate. Tank is planted out (see picture below) and growing. Light is moderate using 2 Aquaray Grobeam 600 Ultima's. Water temperature is 75 with no heater and pH is 7.5. That being said I'm planning (at least for the next five minutes) to stock the following fish:

10x Espe's (Lambchop) Rasboras
    10x Endler's Livebearers
    6x Black Neon Tetras
    1x Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami

I'm about 4.6 inches over when using the very basic 1 inch per gallon rule but I'm hoping it will be ok. Any input or feedback would be lovely. Thank you!

2. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

The inch per gallon rule is very outdated and it's not recommended to use it.

I think (but someone would have to give you validation on that) that the number of fish you have is fine, but your 3 schools would occupy the same space in your tank (the middle) and only the gourami would occupy the top (and the endlers, to some extent). Usually when stocking it's better (and nicer to look at) to pick fish that occupy different sections of the tank. You might want to look at corydoras, khuli loaches, otocinclus (for the bottom of you tank). Of course that would mean getting rid of one of your schools.

Also, you should get only male endlers otherwise you're going to have hundreds of them soon.

Finally, tetras are really good schoolers (as opposed to your other 2 groups which are actually shoaling). And they should be kept in as high number as possible. Both for their peace of mind, and for the aesthetics of a good schooling behavior. I'd say 10 of them at least would be better.

I'm not very experienced in fishkeeping (only a year of fishlore) so take all this with a grain of salt.

3. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

Nada Mucho Well Known Member Member

Florian Pellet I hear you on the one inch per gallon rule but at least it's something for a new person to use getting started. Lots of modifiers it seems including filtration, bio-load for different types of stock, etc. At a minimum it gave me some sort of benchmark.

For the longest time I'd planned on having Julii Cories in my tank but a few things are putting me off. It seems that the oxygenation, water changes and tank cleaning demands for them is higher than my other fish and they are kind of big (2 to 2.2 inches) compared to my other stock. I was also worried about my eco-complete substrate as the stuff I read on animal-world and seriouslyfishy say sand or fine gravel is best. Additionally I'd have to keep additional food for them (sinking pellets) which isn't a big deal but just another maintenance factor. After reading your comment and thinking about it I will reconsider these fish, maybe instead of the Endler's to space things out a bit.

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would do 8 albino/bronze cories instead of the black neons.
    You could also do a bolivian ram.

Don't worry about the inch per gallon rule, it is rubbish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice