Inoffensive Infusoria Culturing?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Joshaeus, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Joshaeus

JoshaeusWell Known MemberMember

Hi everyone! A few minutes ago I spotted my banded bushfishes spawning :O Needless to say, I am excited! However, I have a problem I need to solve...the fry will need infusoria for the first week or two after spawning, and I live in an apartment with my mom (who is not too keen on the smell). While I could put the cultures outside, my landlord might not be too thrilled either. Any advice on how to make a (less) offensive infusoria culture? Thanks :)

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

You could use other things instead perhaps. Baby brine shrimp or even egg yolks are options.

3. OP
    OP
    Joshaeus

I will be using baby brine shrimp...however, banded bushfish fry are too small to take brine shrimp for the first week or so after they become free swimming. They likely won't even recognize the immobile egg yolk as food. Thanks for the suggestions, though :)

4. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Well another option would be overfeeding your tank a bit for a while and when you do water changes don't disturb the substrate, just siphon water off the top. Rotifiers naturally occur in tanks. Basically make your fish tank the culture. That's what I do with good results. But my tank is dirted so I have a good amount as it is.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Maybe you could put a small tub on your windowsill outside?

6. OP
    OP
    Joshaeus

Good idea...I will try to do that. The tank they spawned in is not dirted, but I'm sure I can make it work.
    Sadly I do not have a windowsill on the outside of the house, but I did put a culture outside on my porch...going to have to wait and see what the landlord thinks of that. Thanks, though :)