Innovative Baby Biorb Solutions

ImpaBug

Alright, I got a Baby Biorb. I know, I get it. It’s small, it’s a fish killer, etc, I’ve read all the forums so I know I’m going to get roasted for even posting this. But the person who bought this for me is really special to me, and they would be heartbroken if I didn’t put it to use. I’m cycling it for eight weeks, I was thinking about covering the substrate with smoother rocks or something and limiting the air flow so the current isn’t as strong. Obviously, I’ve got a thermometer and a heater and I’m going to control the temperature and limit the sunlight. I was thinking about ONE betta fish, or male guppies in it. My question is, how can we make things work with this? What is the IDEAL way to set this up? Decorations? I don’t want answers like “return it” or anything like that. I’ve been attacked enough on other forums. What are your best ideas, without being cruel to fish? Thank you so much in advance

FlipFlopFishFlake

Why don't you use it for shrimp? I feel that the biorb doesn't have enough usable floor space and oxygenation, and would be a little bit on the small side regarding floor space. If you could get a heater, filter, and live plants you might possibly be able to put a betta in or some really small nano fish. I will post again if I find any fish that would do well in this setup.
Best of luck, don't let people get to you. I feel like fishlore is one of the nicer forums out there.

ImpaBug

Why don't you use it for shrimp? I feel that the biorb doesn't have enough usable floor space and oxygenation, and would be a little bit on the small side regarding floor space. If you could get a heater, filter, and live plants you might possibly be able to put a betta in or some really small nano fish. I will post again if I find any fish that would do well in this setup.
Best of luck, don't let people get to you. I feel like fishlore is one of the nicer forums out there.
Honestly I would even be concerned about some Nano fish. They’re typically pretty active right? I don’t know that they’d have a lot of room to swim and dart around. The reason I thought about a betta was because I could at least set up a lot of decor and make some obstacles and enrichment for it, plus they’re kind of naturally lazy guys. Also there’s something really rewarding about getting a $2 betta from Walmart that’s lived in horrible conditions it’s entire life and bringing it back to life.

I hadn’t considered shrimp though. What species am I considering? How do I prevent overpopulation? What are some good resources to start looking at for that? Could they coexist with a betta?

Kenho21

Honestly I would even be concerned about some Nano fish. They’re typically pretty active right? I don’t know that they’d have a lot of room to swim and dart around. The reason I thought about a betta was because I could at least set up a lot of decor and make some obstacles and enrichment for it, plus they’re kind of naturally lazy guys. Also there’s something really rewarding about getting a $2 betta from Walmart that’s lived in horrible conditions it’s entire life and bringing it back to life.

I hadn’t considered shrimp though. What species am I considering? How do I prevent overpopulation? What are some good resources to start looking at for that? Could they coexist with a betta?
Betta's are actually very active fish when they're healthy, but many of the bettas people encounter aren't healthy or kept in the best conditions.

A Biorb isn't a proper environment for bettas, but shrimp on the other hand could do very well in a Biorb from what I understand. I've never kept shrimp, but from what I've seen many others do, it works quite well most times when keeping them in smaller tanks. There are tons of varieties and some really beautiful shrimp out there too! Also, some snails would do quite well and there are some really cool ones to choose from like blue mystery snails.

Shrimp will basically control their own population and the colony will only grow to what the habitat can sustain, from what I understand, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. LR Bretz has some really nice shrimp and snails. His blue shrimp look amazing and healthy and I believe he has some snails too. I've heard decent things about Aquatic Arts too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
hannah662parker
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views