Injury? Or Sickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got 3 cories last weekend and it was a very traumatic experience. The guys in the shop took forever to catch them (must have chased them round the tank for 30 mins at least), and by the time I got them home they had all gone belly up in the bag. Luckily, after going into my qt tank they all made a miraculous recovery, but I've just seen that one of them has a white patch underneath his dorsal fin. Do we think this is a bacterial infection, or damage to the scales where it's scraped itself on something? He is acting fine, out in the open, eating and everything. Opinions welcome!
dc82ca5e52037590b27d0e4cae7d4a83.jpg

@DoubleDutch? @CindiL? Sorry for random tags but thought you guys might know!

Last edited by a moderator:

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, no problem
Is the patch on both sides like that of the dorsal? Looks like he has another patch above his gills? The saddle like appearance across the dorsal makes me think columnaris.

I would say bacterial and since they're in quarantine (way to go!) a good time to treat.

I'd start with just nitrofurazone and see if that eradicates it. You can find it in the following products: Tetra Fungus Guard, API Furan-2 or Jungle Fungus Clear tabs (walmart carries this). Sometimes you need the addition of kanaplex but since they're in qt I'd start with that unless it spreads rapidly.

Info on columnaris: Columnaris Symptoms And Treatment

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you! It's just on the one side at the moment, I'll have a good look at him tomorrow to see if it's spread anywhere. I'm in the uk and finding kanaplex has been difficult; I'm planning to pick some up when I come to the states in July. I will head to the lfs in the morning to see if they have either of the tetra or api products - I've never seen jungle fungus clear over here either!

Thanks for your help, hopefully he will make it through the night (he doesn't appear at all distressed!) and I can pick something up for him in the morning. They've been getting water changes every couple of days in the quarantine in an effort to keep their stress levels down...I've basically gone "here's clean water! Don't be stressed!" LOL. My family think I'm crazy haha!

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Its hard to find nitrofurazone though I've seen it on amazon.uk to be ordered (the Tetra Fungus Guard). I know they carry some Tetra products there.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just read the sticky, I actually have some maracyn 2 at home so if the lfs doesn't have anything I will start that instead. Very useful info in there, thank you very much!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad you saved them grrrrr.
This one has quite a lot of damage. Could be it is kept in bad conditions before.
Hoping he'll get better in better conditions and with the right treatment.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've called around my usual lfs shops and nobody has any of the meds. I've ordered some tetra fungus guard off amazon but it won't get here until 23rd February. I guess I will start maracyn 2 - can I use aq salt at the same time? Or is it better to use the medication only?

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've started the maracyn 2. The guy in the pic has got a very small bit now on the other side under his dorsal fin now, and one of the others has no patches but is hovering completely vertically near the top of the water the other one looks ok for now...hopefully the maracyn 2 does the job feel so bad for these little guys. I won't be buying from that shop again!

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could use a small amount of aquarium salt. 1 tablespoon per 5-6g water. This amount will be just fine for the cories and may help inhibit the disease while you're waiting for the medicine.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could use a small amount of aquarium salt. 1 tablespoon per 5-6g water. This amount will be just fine for the cories and may help inhibit the disease while you're waiting for the medicine.

Just so I'm not getting my wires crossed lol - I can use the salt in conjunction with the maracyn 2?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, thats fine. Just make sure its a level tablespoon and dissolve it first in some removed tank water before adding it to the tank. You can add it slowly over 15-30 minutes for a more gradual adjustment even though its not too much.

With water changes, replace the salt, i.e. 5-6g water removed add in 1 tbsp salt again. It doesn't evaporate. After a couple of weeks you'll want to remove it with water changes.

Make sure temperature is down to about 75 during treatment. Between the salt and the temperature it will greatly slow the growth of the bacteria. The Maracy-2 works best at more neutral ph than high ph. What is your ph?

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ph is at 7.2, I do have some ph down but I've always been leery of using it as I don't feel 100% comfortable with it!

EDIT: temp is at 75 I turned it down this morning. I did a water change before starting the maracyn 2 and turned temp down slowly after that

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really appreciate your help, thank you so much! I will keep you updated on their condition

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update: this morning the cory that had been hovering vertically is now "drunk swimming" if you know what I mean...kinda floating around in the current and not able to stay upright. He is the one who has no patches - the one with patches is doing ok, swimming and eating and the patches haven't gotten any bigger or spread. The third cory is acting like nothing is going on lol, he is very chilled out and just follows the other two wherever they go and sits with them. I have a feeling the first cory will be either dead or very close to it by the time I get home from work today is it possible his problems are not related to the columnaris? As he has no patches? I would have thought if it was a fast acting type the one with the patches would be gone by now?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The tetra fungus guard will help once you get that.

They all have different immune systems and strength and you could have different bacteria in the tank. And its possible its not related to the disease but I doubt it. The combo of meds is good to treat a variety of bacteria so no matter what exact bacteria it is will help remove it.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you - my son has text me at work to say it's not swimming anymore and just sitting on the floor quietly, so don't know if it's improved or in it's last throes before death. I should be home in about 3 hours so fingers crossed he will be looking better by the time I get there! In the meantime I will keep pestering my son for cory updates LOL :hilarious:

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to say we lost one of them. Treatment with Maracyn 2 has now ended and I don't have any more to continue with a second round. New meds should be arriving on the 23rd. Hopefully the other two will last a week with just the salt and lower temp my sole consolation is that one of them looks perfectly fine, not a speck of white on him and eating and swimming around quite happily. The one with the patch in the pic above isn't acting sick either but obviously he has the patch!

Sarah Laferriere

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I hope your fishy gets better. I just got 3 more corys yesterday and had noticed a very small patch on mine too it's barely noticeable, I watched him for 20 minutes trying to determine if it was anything at all. I hope he's ok.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope your fishy gets better. I just got 3 more corys yesterday and had noticed a very small patch on mine too it's barely noticeable, I watched him for 20 minutes trying to determine if it was anything at all. I hope he's ok.
Thank you, I hope yours are ok too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom