30 Gallon Tank Injury or infection?

V1K

One of my rosy barb females has a wound on her side. She seems to have lost a patch of scales and some skin. The wound seems clean, no fuzz or mucus, but the scales around the wound are pineconed. The rest of her body looks normal. The behaviour is unchanged, fish is active and curious (that's why the picture quality isn't great, she wouldn't sit in one spot). What makes me consider a possibility of infection is that I noticed some missing scales on that spot a few days ago, but there were only a couple of them missing and redness was less noticeable, and now it seems to have worsened. Unless she managed to get herself scratched in the same spot twice?

Water parameters are 0, 0, 5, ph 7, water changes weekly, thinking of doing one today ahead of time because of this fish.

Attachments

• _20210219_112314.JPG
    _20210219_112314.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 14

bcsay720

This could be an infection. Just casual missing scales show up as the color of the fish's skin, and that's definitely too dark. I'd start 50% changes every other day. What tank mates are there? I'd recommend salt, but I know some fish and all snails are sensitive to it.

Upvote 0

V1K

This could be an infection. Just casual missing scales show up as the color of the fish's skin, and that's definitely too dark. I'd start 50% changes every other day. What tank mates are there? I'd recommend salt, but I know some fish and all snails are sensitive to it.
Hillstream loaches, cherry, Amano, bamboo shrimp, mystery and ramshorn snails. I read hillstreams aren't fans of salt, and I wouldn't risk their wellbeing.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Makes sense. Does it have a school? It's not good to quarantine away from a school, but I would still consider quarantining maybe with one other from the school so it's not alone and so that it doesn't spread. Are any of the tank mates recent additions that could have introduced infection?

Upvote 0

V1K

Makes sense. Does it have a school? It's not good to quarantine away from a school, but I would still consider quarantining maybe with one other from the school so it's not alone and so that it doesn't spread. Are any of the tank mates recent additions that could have introduced infection?
She has a school, but he biggest bucket I could quarantine her in is only big enough for 1 fish.
It's been a month since introduction of two new loaches, and they themselves are healthy. I think that if there's an infection, it's secondary and caused by trauma. Barb mating gets rough, but until now they got away with split tails.

Upvote 0

V1K

She died today. I guess the wound was indeed infected. I really hope it was something that won't affect healthy fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cynpeterson
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
laura28
Replies