20 Gallon Tank Injury or Infection?

madmar

Hi all, first time fishkeeper, just finished cycling my 20galH tank about a 2 weeks ago after doing the planted cycle w/fertilizers for about a month. Was just going to get some more basic supplies @ the generic pet store, I saw these 5 Green Lantern Platies and fell in love instantly. I was planning on going to the slightly less generic pet store for fish, but platies are hardy, I told myself, and my tank was ready, and they just looked so sad but beautiful, so I took them home. I didnt check, so its my fault, but the 5 of them in that tank were 3 boys, 2 girls. I noticed as soon as I got them in the tank and could really look at them, and quickly found someone to take the three boys the next day.
Sadly however, after they were gone, I noticed my shyest girl (who was hiding a lot before I got them out) had what I think is an injury near/to her gill. I have been looking at what infections look like as she is new, from a not great place, and it is on her gill and I am worried - but I checked some pics from the day I got her and she did not have this, so it appeared this bad overnight, leaving me hope it is in fact just a injury - and hopefully one she will heal up from with time?
Boys are out and replaced with some more female platies - only 6 total for now bc I wanna keep an eye on the ammonia levels for a few more days at least, hoping for 8 to give em confidence in the tank once more tankmates are added later. No aggression toward my shy girl, and shes been a lot more active since the boys left. She always ate but now she will go for the food as intensely as her tankmates.
I'm going to include shots of both her sides, everyone else's gills are looking great and since the boys left even my shy, injured girl has been exploring the full tank and much more active.
(injury/infection?)
(her good side)
What do you more experienced platy keepers think?
And thanks for providing a place to ask these things, I've been learning so much and always have somewhere to turn with questions!
(P.S. In the pics she is resting under the water flow from the off-the-back filter, which I think is why her fins look clamped, cause now that shes more active they are not like that, but I wouldn't be surprised since it must have been stressful for her!)

Chris1212

So I'm definitely not an expert but I have had 3 platies (all males so they are constantly going at each other) for a few months. Will be watching this thread to see if anyone has ideas.

madmar

Chris1212 said:
So I'm definitely not an expert but I have had 3 platies (all males so they are constantly going at each other) for a few months. Will be watching this thread to see if anyone has ideas.
Thank you! It was wild, once I put the boys in a breeder box to separate them until the person came to rehome them, they all calmed down. the three boys in the 20g tank were SO aggressive to the two girls and just totally calmed down in their little box. I was scared they would be aggressive to each other, but it for sure seems like the boys are much less aggressive to one another vs how they are in a bad gender ratio situation. At least the tank is at peace now haha

Chris1212

Yeah they are interesting fish. I got some bad advice from the local store when for a brand new tank (20g) they told me swordtails and platies - 3 each, all males - would be good starter fish. One swordtail ended up bullying the other two to death while another platy died from something from the store probably. Still have the single swordtail (so much calmer without any others) and the two platies in our more established community tank. Added another male platy a couple months ago and he gets chased all over the tank by the alpha one but he seems fine

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom