Injury on goldfish?

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Haoahhao said:
HI this is a photo of the ‘injury’ on my goldfish. Does anyone know what is that? He still swimming around and very active but I'm worried he might get infection.
What are your water perimeters (ammonia levels, nitrite, etc...)? What’s the tank size?

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Haoahhao said:
I do not know the water parameters but I do a 75% water change every week. My tank is around 15 gallon.
So fist, if you don’t know if the tank is cycled or not, then you must assume it’s not until you know. Get an apI master test kit ASAP. I would get some seachem prime and do water changes as frequently as possible (40% every day or every other day is best.). If you don’t understand the nitrogen cycle then read this article (I will link it).
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
Secondly, 15 gallons is way to small for any kind of goldfish. Common goldfish reach about a foot and fancies about 6-8”. They are a very misunderstood fish, get a bigger tank or rehome the fish or trust me, they will die from stunting or ammonia very very soon.
It looks like he may have ammonia burning and inflammation, so the tank is probably not cycled.

The worst thing you can do is panic though. The situation can be fixed. There are lots of people here on fishlore to walk you through keeping your fish safe while cycling.

If you are worried of having questions about anything, post about it, people on fishlore are always here to help.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
15 gallons isn't super huge, unless you have specific plans for a planted tank I would definitely upgrade. 30 or 40 gallons would be good. That red spot seems to be an ulcer, or possibly hole in the head. Chances are you have some bad water and parasites, I would treat with MinnFinn, test the water and do a water change asap.

To combat the ulcer you can also do a hydrogen peroxide swipe.
Take out the infected fish and put him in a big Tupperware. Get a q-tip and dip in hydrogen peroxide. With clean, well washed hands, gently hold the fish so the infected area is just out of the water, and gently swipe the hydrogen Peroxide q-tip on the ulcer. Just once.
Here is also a video on it.

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just the photos show two orandas and a common, that’s not even any fish that might not be included in the photo. The commons don’t really do well in anything less then a 55, but they are really pond fish and do better in 75 gallons or more. For the two orandas a 40 gallon would be totally fine, but for all three you will probably want a 55-75 or so. Your best option would be to rehome the common to a pond or something and get a 30 or 40 gallon breeder (breeder is lower and extra long) for the orandas. But it depends on whether there are other fish that are not shown in the photos or not. You might need more. But, just do the best you can. If that isn’t feasible to provide a big tank like that and there is nowhere they can be rehomed to, then just provide the biggest you can and keep up on the water changes. Sometime situations like this just happen and there isn’t a lot we can do. The bigger the better when it comes to tanks sizes though.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The best thing you can do is rehome that little comet. If you have any friends with fishponds, you could give him to them, or post an add on fishlore for people in your state with fishponds. As LittleBlueGuppy said, we can help answer any questions about your new setup, or really anything regarding your fish. We always love to help. :)

New Threads