Injuried Rummy nose

DrSahl
HI all

As you might know I just started a 50 gallon tank.

I got 12 Rummy nose tetra in the tank and they school a lot and glow like they shoud. But today I noticed one seems to be injuried (1 of them had been sucked into the filter yesterday) I think its the same one.

Its white on the body (as if its been bitten or scales have been torn with a scratzh) I've seen similar on Malawi's if they had been in a fight. It does not look like infection etc. Should I give him some time ? "like I did malawi's they always healed up" or should I take other measures. Its swimming around by it self most of the time, but sometimes it joins the school.

I've also noticed my Viejita male hunting it abit. not full on or anything but anyway. :/ hopefully it will survive.

Picture

Nympxzie
Quarantine him if you have an extra tank. Shut the lights off and let him be. I had a fish sucked into the filter once, he got his tail all torn up and a few of those white marks as well, he recovered quickly though. Just keep an eye on this guy an if it's not a planted tank, shut the lights off to give him some down time.

DrSahl
Nympxzie said:
Quarantine him if you have an extra tank. Shut the lights off and let him be. I had a fish sucked into the filter once, he got his tail all torn up and a few of those white marks as well, he recovered quickly though. Just keep an eye on this guy an if it's not a planted tank, shut the lights off to give him some down time.
As so its like with Malawi's give him time and observe. Ty for the quick answer. I won't be able to shut the lights off I got a lot of plants. He does not seem spooked or anything, just rather passive now and then.

The rest of the tank is alive and they all seem fine. I checked the water yesterday and had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and 3 nitrate. (I have been added the fish not long ago) so all seems in check.

The rest of the School have great colour, their noses are very bright red.. just this one Rummy nose seems injuried.

Hopefully he will be allright soo.

DrSahl
Sadly the tetra didnt survive. It was a quite severe injury :/ I could see it after I fished him up. Atleast it seems like the other fish are avoiding the filter intake og hopefully none of the others won't get sucked in.

If they grow abit more they will also be to large to fit.
But I am beginning to understand why people here on the forum said you need a few more than you plan for, since a few always die :/

nicole4434
What does your filter intake look like, I have some filers that I put a mesh bag over and tie on, and some I put a prefilter sponge on, they work awesome, rinse nicely and keep stuff that shouldn't be in the filter out.

these fit most standard hob filters unless its an odd shape

pPETNA-5147341_main_enh.jpg

DrSahl
nicole4434 said:
What does your filter intake look like, I have some filers that I put a mesh bag over and tie on, and some I put a prefilter sponge on, they work awesome, rinse nicely and keep stuff that shouldn't be in the filter out.

these fit most standard hob filters unless its an odd shape

pPETNA-5147341_main_enh.jpg
Its a juwel rio. So its a filterbox that covers "filter, pump and heater" the intake is at the top. I think it was just bad luck in the start or maybe its been in bad shape in the start.. The 11 I got left is schooling fine and glows birght red on the nose.. The rest of the fish also seem healthy.

I've been told its a bad idea to sloth someting down to the intake to cover it.. but well. I will give it a few days and if more tetras get in there I will put something else I will leave it.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom