Injured seahorse

YawningMammoth

Hey y'all, this is my first time posting on a forum but I'm not sure where else to go. I bought a new seahorse today from my LFS that looked just fine when I had them bag it up but now that I'm home and working on its acclimation I notice that the tip of it's tail is missing. It doesn't seem to be too much but it does look to have been bitten off or something. I am just worried that it might cause issues. I will gladly keep the little thing and give it a good life but I want to make sure it's not going to suffer or have serious issues going down the road. What do you guys think? TIA
Screenshot_20200726-181739.png

YawningMammoth

Hey y'all, this is my first time posting on a forum but I'm not sure where else to go. I bought a new seahorse today from my LFS that looked just fine when I had them bag it up but now that I'm home and working on its acclimation I notice that the tip of it's tail is missing. It doesn't seem to be too much but it does look to have been bitten off or something. I am just worried that it might cause issues. I will gladly keep the little thing and give it a good life but I want to make sure it's not going to suffer or have serious issues going down the road. What do you guys think? TIA
Screenshot_20200726-181739.png
Also I will add that it is a very calm tank, with a single pair of clownfish and a brittle star (will be banished to the sump of my other tank once that one is upgraded). I am not worried about tank requirements or anything, just about the little thing being able to hitch on to things and swim etc.

Upvote 0

saltwater60

It’s hard to tell and see if it’s a new wound or an old wound from the pictures. I would think it would still be able to hitch. Watch the clowns as they can be aggressive. Also if it’s a new wound they are VERY susceptible to a bacterial infection. Keep the water very clean and ensure it is getting enough food with the clowns.

Upvote 0

YawningMammoth

It’s hard to tell and see if it’s a new wound or an old wound from the pictures. I would think it would still be able to hitch. Watch the clowns as they can be aggressive. Also if it’s a new wound they are VERY susceptible to a bacterial infection. Keep the water very clean and ensure it is getting enough food with the clowns.

Thank you for your response. So far the clowns seem surprisingly friendly towards the seahorses and haven't bothered them yet, even during feedings. It looks to be a healed wound and he seems to be able to hitch alright but I haven't seen much of him swimming around like my other horse. But neither of my horses seem interested in food? I dropped some baby brine cubes in hopes they would at least take some of that until they decide to accept other food but do you have any suggestions of certain foods or ways to feed them that they might like more? I spot feed everything in this tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wrenne
Replies
Views
Dimmy
Replies
Views
Cluckyholiday
Replies