Injured or sick pleco

lynch26

This is a young bristle/bushynose pleco. I didn't notice this spot until a couple days after I purchased him. It would kind of come and go at random for the first week or so, but today it seems to have grown and generated some reddish/pink around the perimeter of the area. Any ideas?

Water conditions are perfect, temp at a steady 79.7 and ph just at 7. No ammonia and no nit's. 25% weekly water changes, just changed on Sunday.

All the other fish are fine and the pleco is very active and eating well on algae and steamed zucchini.

Attachments

djorna

what other fish do you have with him?

maxima423

german blue rams could be the culprit, if your BN pleco is a male, they could have fought for territory and he could of had those injuries

djorna

agreed

lynch26

The spot was apparent before the rams were introduced. They fought with the tetras and rasboras for a day or so, but the tail nipping is minimal now if at all.

lynch26

That helps though, my main question was whether it was an injury or an illness. Regardless, now that the Rams ate their eggs, I'm going to do some daily water changes with some stress coat to see if that helps him heal up. This morning it looks like it's getting better, like a scab preparing to detach around the edges. Natural colors are appearing where the pinkish color was.

Top Bottom