Injured Neon...

GingerBeardMan35

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Found one of my Neons sucked up on my HOB filter. Thought he was dead so I grabbed the net, and when I stuck the net in the water he pulled himself off the filter. He was not doing well with the current, and upon closer inspection his tail is completely gone. I moved him to a qt tank with low flow for the time being. He’s still alive but it takes him a lot of effort to get anywhere. I figure I’m at least giving him a calmer place to die, but is there any chance his tail will grow back overtime and eventually he can rejoin the tank?

The other thing I wonder is what took his tail completely off. The filter? Eh I’m not sure about that. None of the fish seem aggressive with each other. Mollies, Platies, and Neons tetras only. Neon tetra school is 11 strong. However, I do have a few ghost shrimp, a couple of them have gotten quite massive. Would a ghost shrimp prey on a neon?

So in short is there anything I can do for the neon and what does anyone thing happened to it?

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not exactly sure what happened, but this happened to a few of my bloodfins and they passed away very soon after. Pretty sure it was an internal parasite picked up from a GBR. Unfortunately I have never had any of their tails grow back. Sorry about ur fishy :/

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The tail should grow back with clean water and good nutrition.

Also, fish shouldn’t get sucked up into filters unless they are sick or weak due to injury.

GingerBeardMan35

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He passed overnight. At least he didn’t die up against the filter. Still strange but I will be looking at my other Neons for awhile to see if I can find anything a miss with the others.

Thanks for your responses!

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GingerBeardMan35 said:
He passed overnight. At least he didn’t die up against the filter. Still strange but I will be looking at my other Neons for awhile to see if I can find anything a miss with the others.

Thanks for your responses!
I'm so sorry about your little guy... how long had his tail been missing for?

GingerBeardMan35

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
RainBetta said:
I'm so sorry about your little guy... how long had his tail been missing for?
I found him like that about an hour before I posted. So he lived for about 12 hours after I found him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom