Injured Neon Tetra, Will He Make It?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by FishyJ, May 23, 2019.

1. FishyJ New Member Member

I recently upgraded to a 38 from a 10 g, mostly so I could get more neon tetras and otocinclus so that they wouldn't be so lonely ;).
    Tank was automatically cycled as I used everything from my 10 g including the filter (added the new filter simultaneously to help with filtration and build up BB in the new filter).
    My problem comes from while I was transferring fish over into the new tank one of the neon tetras got bumped pretty good with the net. At first I thought he wasn't going to make it as he was swimming upside down. I decided to transfer him anyway. At first he was swimming upright, but with his head pointed up. By the end of the day he was swimming normally again (maybe staying with the others was helpful). Today he is swimming ok, not speedy but level. He looks better except he does have a discoloration line across one side (almost makes me think of a bruise) of where he got hit. He is not getting bullied at all. There is a lot of space and hiding places for him. He seems calm, and relaxed.
    Question: anyone experience this and the fish live? Should I just wait it out or is there something I should do?
    (Below: 1st picture bad side, 2nd picture good side) 

Here's all my parameters per the template.
    Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?- 38 Gallons
    How long has the tank been running?-2 days
    Does it have a filter?-yes
    Does it have a heater?-yes
    What is the water temperature? 80degreees F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 neon tetras, 2 otocinclus, 3 guppies, 1 Amano shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 large bladder snail, 1 very small yoyo loach (who minds his own business)

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? new tank, but I usually do weekly water changes
    How much of the water do you change? 20-25%ish
    What do you use to treat your water? secem prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Gravel vac.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? previous tank cycled, used all substrate, filter, decorations to help cycle this tank. checked levels and it already had Nitrates.
    What do you use to test the water? API test kit and Tetra easy Strips
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0-1(which I don't understand because I do have Nitrates)
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:10-20 roughly (the color is inbetween 0 and 20)
    pH:7.4ish (its between 7.2 and 7.8)

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? a small amount 2 times a day
    How much do you feed your fish? a pinch
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?Tetra flakes, API flakes, Tetra dried bloodworms (once a week), Hikari sinking wafer (for the loach)
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? flakes, wafer, and freeze dried

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 3 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? See above
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? See above
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? not on purchase but injured in transfer to new tank.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? (See above)   

2. Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey. I had this very same thing happen to one of my danios. I had my hubby checking every am/pm for signs of infection. He healed up fine. He seemed completely normal. But he only lived two months after injury.
    Keep in mind it all depends on the amount of injury. Watch for infection and hope there’s no internal damage. I hope he will be ok! Positive thinking. :)

3. FishyJ New Member Member

If there is infection what should I do (just preparing for the future). Also what should I look for if there is an infection?

4. Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Look for redness, tissue flaking off, white fuzzy stuff. Start with methylene blue baths. I would suggest swabbing the area with hydrogen peroxide or mblue but I’m afraid netting again would further compromise his immune system. If you see signs of infection though, have a qt ready and remove him from the main tank. But. Hopefully none of this will be necessary. Crossing fingers here.