Injured Molly Please Help!

meljy1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a black male and silver female sailfin molly, which I have had over a year in a 96L tank they have always got on and so far not had any babies (thankfully).

The male does chase the female around but normally she just pushes him away and they settle down. In the last few days they have got very violent with her nipping at him etc etc. It seems yesterday they had a big fight as I founfd the male on the floor with his sailfin clamped and shimmying.

Checking this morning he was the same. I already had a hospital tank set up so I have put him in there this morning and started with Melafix.

I am really worried as he is sat at the top of the tank staying in one place clamping his fin which has been damaged and is ripped, I do not think he can more it much.

Please can anyone advice if I am doing the right thing or can do any more for him as he is really not happy and just staying at the top with the shimmies.

tonycarder

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think you did the right thing by getting him out of the tank and into a hospital tank. Just make sure he is as comfortable as possible (good water parameters, aeration, etc.) What type of filter do you have on this hospital tank? Can you adjust the flow, since he is hanging near the top of the tank?

OP
M

meljy1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI many thanks for coming back. I can ajust the filter flow to be softer, its a basic 15L hopistal tank. I only have sponge in the filter as I am using Melafix.

tonycarder

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just keep him as comfortable as possible. Also when keeping mollies I would suggest keeping 3 females for every male or just all females. I have 2 female Dalmatian mollies and they always get along.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just make sure you follow the instructions. Sometimes when I see fin damage on my fish I change the water. Freshwater always helps heal and promote fin growth when one is damaged.

OP
M

meljy1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Many thanks for your advice. I will keep a close eye on him change water and hopefully he will eat. He seems to be shimmying quite a lot at the moment hopefully that may settle down once he is less tired.

New Threads