Injured Koi

1. p

pdot Initiate Member

I have several large koi and recently I noticed one that is "bent" almost in half. He
    can't straighten up and his lower body rest right at the top of the water. He moves
    and eats, but it looks like he has problems swimming. Anyone have any idea what this is and can he be saved. sick koi.jpg sick koi.jpg sick koi.jpg sick koi.jpg sick koi 2.jpg sick koi 2.jpg

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Member Member

@Gypsy13 is a great healer!!! Gypsy she posted pictures and it looks right like she described it!!! His tail is bent in a u right behind the back fins..!!

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Hey. This is a fascinating phenomenon in koi. Not to you at the moment I know. But it is something as a koi owner you should know about. First let’s start with diet. What are you feeding them? When did you get them? How did you get them? We’ll start here.

Hey. Have a few moments so I’ll try to list the reasons this can happen.
    Vitamin C deficiency. (They take lots of vitamin C).
    Injury. This can come from so many things. Like netting too many at one time and the bottom fish could have a muscle injury. An electrical injury. Have you had thunderstorms lately? Any faulty lighting or pump type malfunctions?
    Poison. Any pesticides, herbicides etc used around pond? And water run off due to heavy rains?

4. OP
    OP
    p

pdot Initiate Member

I've had it 5 years. Purchased it from a Pond supplier locally. I feed them Tetra sticks and flakes since there are smaller fish and mosquito fish in the pond also. I did suspect that it may be electrical because I had the pump go out around that same time and experienced a minor shock when I removed the pump. My main concern is whether she can survive
    in this condition. Thanks for your help.

:emoji_thumbsup:

5. Gypsy13

I was afraid of electrocution.
    The koi hubby described seems to be upright with a small buoyancy problem? Seems to be tilted down at the front?
    Here’s the thing, the bigger the koi with no buoyancy problem the longer the recovery time. Smaller koi six to eight weeks. Larger exponentially longer. Next, buoyancy problem. If the swim bladder fills with fluid, it will sink. Laying on the bottom, they get sores and are therefore open to all sorts of infections. Then treatment. In this type of case, prognosis is poor.
    How is it sitting in the water today? Poor finbaby.

6. OP
    OP
    p

pdot Initiate Member

Same condition. She has always preferred the upper tier of the pond, but lately stays under the edge and the top of the tail is slightly above water. She is still eating well, but not moving as much. Oh well, I'll hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Thanks so much.

7. Gypsy13

I wish this didn’t happen. If you can, without adding stress, kind of support her front end a few times a day? This will aid in her swim bladder not becoming too full of fluid too quickly. But if it stresses her, don’t try it. My Angel loves to lay on my hand. She ended up with a permanent little kink in her tail but other than that, she’s fine. How long is your girl? And I’m here. All of us at fishlore want your finbaby to be ok. Keep updating? Please?

8. Gypsy13

How is your finbaby? I’ve been afraid to ask.

9. OP
    OP
    p

pdot Initiate Member

Still with us. She's still the same physically, but eating well and interacting with the other fish. I just wonder is it painful.

10. Gypsy13

It’s not supposed to be. They seem to be ok just different. As long as she’s eating and hasn’t sunk to the bottom, there’s a chance she may recover. Keep updating? Please? :)

11. OP
    OP
    p

pdot Initiate Member

I will. Thanks