55 Gallon Tank Injured fish

Lucky16

My 1.5y/o female creamsicle lyretail molly became stuck in a log ornament this morning and I had to carefully snap pieces off to create a hole to get her out. She's very injured - lots of scales scraped, both upper and lower parts of her lyretail have broken off, injured and impaired use of her left pectoral fin. Her breathing is more rapid than normal but I have seen worse in other sick fish. I'm preparing my hospital tank for her as I just rehabbed a sick platy so I have to change the water and start over.

I'm writing here to see what I need to add to the water when I get her in the hospital tank to help her heal. I do have aquarium salt but haven't used it because other fish in the community aquarium won't do well with it. I know it's something that can help, so to start: how do I use the salt? The hospital tank isn't the best but it's what I have to work with. It's 3 gallons I believe, maybe 3.5 (TopFin bowfront I got months ago for free).

Currently her aquarium is at 77 degrees, so I'll make sure to start there and gradually increase it. Should I go ahead and add in a broad spectrum antibiotic as preventative? I know that with these injuries she may not make it, but I want to give her a fighting chance.

Attachments

• PXL_20210204_170851613.jpg
    PXL_20210204_170851613.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210204_170756043.jpg
    PXL_20210204_170756043.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210204_170835685.jpg
    PXL_20210204_170835685.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 13

Roman96

Get her in the hospital tank and start off with aquarium salt (I'd say 1 teaspoon per 1 gallon since she looks pretty bad).

Don't raise the temp, this will speed up bacterial or fungal infections.

What type of antibiotic is it? It may be to hard on her depending on what it is and a lot of the time they won't even work.

Lucky16

Get her in the hospital tank and start off with aquarium salt (I'd say 1 teaspoon per 1 gallon since she looks pretty bad).

Don't raise the temp, this will speed up bacterial or fungal infections.

What type of antibiotic is it? It may be to hard on her depending on what it is and a lot of the time they won't even work.
I did not know about not raising the temp, I always thought it was better to raise it. Is that only when you have a known infection? I will check which antibiotics I already have when I get home, as I'm taking my kid to preschool right now.

Roman96

I did not know about not raising the temp, I always thought it was better to raise it. Is that only when you have a known infection? I will check which antibiotics I already have when I get home, as I'm taking my kid to preschool right now.
Depends. Raising temp is usually for external parasite treatment, but it will do nothing for bacterial or fungal (which is what will likely arise if anything does from this incident).

Lucky16

Depends. Raising temp is usually for external parasite treatment, but it will do nothing for bacterial or fungal (which is what will likely arise if anything does from this incident).

Ok, for actual medications I have Seachem MetroPlex and KanaPlex, and then the Focus to bind for medicated food administration. I am also have API Fungus Cure. I thought I had a more broad spectrum med but maybe already used it all. On the "natural remedy" side I have API Melafix and Pimafix.

Maybe I should go with the Melafix because it states "Rapidly repairs damaged find, ulcers & open wounds - Promotes regrowth of damaged tissue & fins." Thoughts?
The hospital tank is set up with the aquarium salt added, just waiting for the temps to match. On a good note, the other female mollies in with Regina (I hadn't mentioned her name before) have kind of formed a protective circle around her and chase anyone else away. They know she's hurt and they are protecting her

Attachments

• PXL_20210204_185540079.jpg
    PXL_20210204_185540079.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 12

Roman96

Ok, for actual medications I have Seachem MetroPlex and KanaPlex, and then the Focus to bind for medicated food administration. I am also have API Fungus Cure. I thought I had a more broad spectrum med but maybe already used it all. On the "natural remedy" side I have API Melafix and Pimafix.

Maybe I should go with the Melafix because it states "Rapidly repairs damaged find, ulcers & open wounds - Promotes regrowth of damaged tissue & fins." Thoughts?
The hospital tank is set up with the aquarium salt added, just waiting for the temps to match. On a good note, the other female mollies in with Regina (I hadn't mentioned her name before) have kind of formed a protective circle around her and chase anyone else away. They know she's hurt and they are protecting her
I wouldn't use any of those meds yet. Especially not melafix it won't do any of what it says.

Just try and get her in the hospital tank as soon as you can (which you said you're doing)

Thats actually cool that the other mollies are protecting her, I didn't even know they would do that. It definitely looks like they are doing it in the picture.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Moistpotato101
Replies
Views
Catchthewind
Replies
Views
Frisbee
Replies