injured fish, what should i do?

Gordinian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I recently set up a 75 gallon tank for cichlids. After getting 12 african cichlids, i noticed that one of them wasn't using one of his fins and looked injured (I named him Nemo ). He recently started using his fin, but has revealed an "indent". There is no skin and almost see inside.
The other fish don't seem to be picking on him and he looks like he is swimming around comfortably, other than leaning to the side a little bit. I would put him in a hospital tank, but I don't have the money to do so.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Divider, Maybe?… never seen one for a tank that big. Could make a home made divider. The other fish are leaving Nemo alone so that’s good for now.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I'm sorry your fish is injured. What kind of cichlid is nemo?
The key to helping him heal is Pristine water, some extra stress coat and vita-chem all to help prevent infection.
I believe melafix is a good healer also.

He really should be in a Q tank so no one decided to pick on him. He'll be able to rest and not have to compete for food.
It doesn't have to be an elaborate set up.
here's a great link with Q tank set ups
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/quarantine-tank-setup.69750/

Marc M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If nobodies picking at him and you don't want to invest in a q tank, try Melfix by API. For less than ten bucks you can get a bottle big enough to treat the whole tank for the week long course. I have done so several times for finrot and lacerations when my q tank is full of fry (like always).

Gordinian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not exactly sure what kind he is. He is yellow with stripes sort of like my bumblebees but doesn't look exactly like them

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

I second the QT and definitely check out the quick and dirty QT setup link. My QT is a 7g Rubbermaid-type container and I love it. I can store all the parts inside it when I'm not using it.

-Lisa

Gordinian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
as much as i would like to set up a QT, i already have two fish tanks and don't currently have the money to buy another filter, heater and everything else needed

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads