Injured DG: HELP????

1. H

Heather12404 Valued Member Member

I just found my DG wedged in one of the holes in one of my decorations. I was able to gently push him out. I have no idea how long he's been there. But he's torn up pretty good from thrashing trying to get out.
    He has scales missing by his top fin and his top fin isn't red anymore. It's his belly area that's bad....he has a spot that looks like it's bleeding.
    I'll be surprised if he lives through this.
    What can I do to attempt to save him?

2. ucdcrew

ucdcrew Valued Member Member

Can you put him in a quarantine tank so he's not stressed by the other animals? Pristine water conditions will do him a lot of good.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

First of all, you have to keep the water super clean so you do not get a fungal or bacterial infection. PIMAfix and MELAfix are natural remedies that thwart fungal and bacterial infections. The best way to do it is to get a small bottle of each and treat with BOTH. And before anyone says do not mix medications, in siturations like this it is recommended by the manufacturor, please look it up. By mixing the two togehter you are covering the largest spectrum of any type of infection your fish may get. If you have any other fish in the aquarium this herbal remedy will not harm them and it will not undo the cycle in your tank. PIMAfix and MELAfix has been compared to an aniseptic and an aspirin. It can be the first line of defense in situations like this. Google it. read up on it and see what you think.

4. Legures

Legures Valued Member Member

If the other fish are bullying him or it looks like he is having trouble in the tank, I suggest putting him into a QT/Hospital tank if you have one.

Make sure your water quality is SPOT on to make sure he doesn't get any infections. I've seen fish that were injured like this and survived. You just have to make sure he doesn't get stressed out or infected.

Missing scales will eventually grow back and the lose of color seems like he is just stressed out.

A fish can easily heal back from these kind of situations if put in the right environment.

Good luck!

5. Wendy Lubianetsky

There is an ongoing debate as to whether Bettas and Gourami's can use this medication because it is a dirivative of oil. You would have to decided for yourself, but I am using it on my
    Gourami right now to treat my tank for ick. Like I said, do some research first.

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

A Marcyn1 + 2 Mix can be very effective as well, i dont like taking risks with melafix, i have my reasons. Especially on such a damaged fish and the duration those meds will have to be applied.

Clean water, low flow filter, soft crashing place, 80-82 Degree water, some Marcyn 1+2 and a High protein and Chitin rich diet should help him out. Chitin would be something along the lines of Brine shrimp and other shrimps. Ive never seen a DG have an issue eating a small ghost shrimp, though, dont get them if their big because they may harass him.

7. OP
    OP
    H

I have been chatting with Toosie about this and this is what we have done so far:
    Moved him to a hospital tank
    I used dirty gravel from my 60G tank in a media bag to seed the sponges I have in the filter on the hospital tank.
    I don't have any seeded media that I can spare right now as I've done major filter upgrades within the last week.
    He has a heater set to the exact temp in the 60G = 76F
    I used Prime to treat the water.

What else heals sores? Aquarium salt?

8. FriendsNotFood

FriendsNotFood Well Known Member Member

Using salt is a good idea. It helps stop the fish itself losing salt and minerals from its body (which is what will occur with open sores), lowers the chance of infection and some believe it helps stimulate the mucous coating.
    I don't know the correct dosing ratios for salt ,but if you google it you may find it, or someone with more knowledge will come along.
    Don't give him a salt bath though, with how stressed your fish is at the moment I'd say thats a very bad idea. And if you do add salt to the actual tank, keep an eye on him afterwards for signs of stress. He may dislike the addition and you'll need to do a quick water change.

Hope your baby feels better soon :)

9. OP
    OP
    H

Well there's good news this morning:
    he's still alive and he ate breakfast!

10. Wendy Lubianetsky

Yea!!

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My big white goldfish (when it wasn't so big) got stuck inside one of those ceramic heads in the 90. Now it's bigger than the head. Anyway, I don't know how long it was in there, but it had stopped struggling by the time I saw. I took a hammer to it under water, breaking the head apart and freeing the fish. It was really beat up, and exhausted. I moved it to a quarantine tank to rest and recover, which it obviously did :)

Add something to aid in healing like stress coat, give it clean water and rest and if it can make a turn for the better, it will.

I've also lost a couple of rainbows, to what I think was getting stuck somewhere. While both times they freed themselves, if they were in fact stuck, they were in really bad shape and died soon after moving them to a QT. I can't for the life of me figure out where it could have happened.