Injured Cory Catfish

shubfie

Hi ! So I just bought myself a baby Pepper Cory Catfish from Petco yesterday. After acclimating my Cory to the new water I finally released him into my aquarium. I left to go exercise and when I came back I saw that he lodged himself into one of the filter intakes. I stuck my hand in there to help and he swam out just fine. I checked to see if the suction might be too strong but I felt nothing. He seemed okay so I went to bed not worrying too much about it. The next morning I found him in the intake again, but this time he swam out with an injured fin it seems. It's still intact and I see no scrapes, but at the base of the fin there are two red dots. Now he swims around the tank with his one working fin and lays on the gravel on his side. He also swims upside down on occasion so I'm hoping that he isn't suffering from swim bladder disease. My filter is built into my tank, so I cannot go out and buy another one. I've covered up the intake with some sponge and I'm just hoping that he heals up okay. Is there anything I can do to speed up the healing process? He shares a tank with 5 other neon tetra.

BigManAquatics

I would do a partial water change everyday for a few days. The clean water will help with infection and allow it to heal. Probably got a little shock as well. Would also help him to have some more of his kind with him. How big is the tank?

Upvote 0

shubfie

Thanks Betta. A small water change everyday sounds like a good idea. I only have a 6 gallon tank. I'm worried that if I add another Cory it'll be too crowded. I've added plants and some decorative wood to give him something to hide behind and feel more comfortable. Though, I don't want him to waste away being the only Cory in the tank. Do you think my aquarium could handle another fish ? I've included a photo, my tank is 20.5" by 7.5" and 11.6" tall.

Attachments

• tank.jpeg
    tank.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

First, Betta gave excellent advice. Especially about getting more to keep him company. Cory's really are happier and more interesting in groups.

Also until he gets big enough not to get stuck in the intake, you might want to put a piece of panty hose, a prefilter or a filter media bag you can find at the lfs, over the intake.

In the only tank that still have hob filters, I put a course grade prefilters on the intake because I didn't want to suck up any fry. They do require a little bit more care since the prefilters will have to be rinsed more often, in my case at least once a week. But on the other hand, they also cultivate beneficial bacteria which add to the tanks balance.

All my other tanks are solely sponge filters, including the cory fry hatching/growout tank. Sponge filters are not as nice looking as the hob, but they keep my tanks clean and I don't worry about sucking up any fish or shrimp, even the tiny baby shrimp. My shrimp and fry actually use them as a food source.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
RebeccaWinkler
Replies
Views
Randomfishlover
Replies