Injured Cory Catfish

RoseGuild601

Hello! I need your help!

I have a 45 gallon fish tank, which I have had for almost 4 years. There wasn’t much life in the tank, I was down to a bristlenose pleco and a single peppered cory, so I went to the pet store and bought a few livebearers and some corys. They seemed to be very healthy swimming around in the tank at the store, which was a nice thing to see.

However, the employee getting the fish was very aggressive trying to get the pepper corys into the net, and appears to have injured one in the process. I got the little guy (at least, I’m assuming it’s a guy, fairly young so I’m not sure how to tell) into the tank and noticed he was floating around on the top and shaking his right fin and tail, as if he was trying to swim but couldn’t.

I separated him from the other fish, he continued this pattern of swimming around for a bit and then laying on his side at the top of the tank. His gills are still moving, but he definitely seems stressed and injured.

I’m just wondering if there’s anything I can do for the poor guy to help him recover or at least help him be comfortable. Any advice helps! Thank you!
Update: My mom (who’s been helping me care for the tank) noticed a red mark underneath his gills, almost like a bruise. Also, the employee getting the fish did appear to sort of squish a cory beneath the net.

Noroomforshoe

You may be right the employee might have handled it too roughly, Its happened to. But if you are not sure, and if you didnt complain immediatly, and bought the fish anyway I dont think there isnt much you can do. Find out what the return policy is.

What you can do for the fish is keep the tempurature at the right temp and stable, keep the lights in the tank off, keep noise and activity around the tank low. You could add aquarium salt, seachums prime, stresscoat. Make sure she is eating, try food with garlic like new life spectra foods.

Upvote 0

RoseGuild601

The tank water has recently been treated with prime and had aquarium salt added, I’m keeping the lights off in my room and in the tank to help de-stress. I haven’t heard about using food with garlic before! I’ll have to try it out. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

You can get any new life spectrum food, they all have garlic, or you can make your own garlic enhanced food by soaking his food for a bit in garlic paste.
Garlic is tempting for fish, which is especially important for fish that arent feeling good. but Garlic also has medicinal benifits.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies
Views
RebeccaWinkler
Replies
Views
xPhish
Replies