Injured Betta

1. N

NikkiHill0509 Valued Member Member

Help! My boys got to each other through the divider yesterday afternoon! I separated them as soon as I saw Pluto on the wrong side. Pluto is fine, minimal damage to his tail. He's been in a temporary 1 gallon jar with a plant (lid cracked so there is airflow but he can't jump out) until l can fix the divider so they can't get past it. They've been fine for 6 months together.

The plan is to silicone the divider into place this evening so they can't move it and I'll keep the water an inch or two lower just in case they think they want to try and jump over it. It has to cure for 12 hours, so the boy's will both be in temporary 1 gallon jars tonight.

No to the real problem: My poor Jupiter has a lot of damage to his tail. I put him back in the divided tank, on the side without the filter so it's easier to swim. His tail was already short because he bites it, but now it's all torn. It was bleeding last night, but that has stopped now. He can swim, but he isn't moving much. I don't blame him. He's probably in a lot of pain. He wouldn't eat anything his morning, not even his favorite bloodworms. How can I help him?

Tank specifics:
    10 gallons
    AquaClear filter - baffled for minimal flow
    Ph - 7.8
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 5ppm
    Last water change was Tuesday and I've been using Catappa leaves to help encourage fin grown since Jupiter bites his tail.

Yesterday afternoon:
    117510c3b2f92f58464c32c54c0a51eb.jpg

This morning:
    52fa5129d41dafd280ca5e857dcb5c93.jpg

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I think you should treat him with a mild antibiotic, that or give him a couple Meth. blue OR Quick cure baths every day till he starts healing up. Formalin+Malachite green in the liquid quick cure acts both as an anti-bacterial and anti fungal, same for Methelyne blue. When my girls' fins started looking fuzzy and clamped I gave them quick cure baths and they recovered within a couple days.

It looks to me that the parts that where bleeding are getting infected and/or might fall off. Keep the water extra clean, maybe add a bit of salt as well.

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Hi.

The silicone should cure for a minimum of one week, not 12 hours, regardless of what silicone you are using. 12 hours to 1 day is for it to become solid. 1 week is for it to stop releasing toxins.

4. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks! I'll pick up either quick cure or meth Blue at the store this afternoon. I have some salt, but I wanted to wait until he was done bleeding so it didn't hurt him more.

How long should he be in the baths and how much medicine should I add?

5. OP
    OP
    N

Even aquarium sealant?

6. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Yes.

Read the package carefully and do a bit of googling, and you'll see the same info.

7. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

For baths, I used roughly 8 drops in 1/4 gallon. You can dose quite a bit w/o harming the fish. Let him sit in it for around 15 minutes, just monitor him and if he starts having issues move him to clean water.

8. OP
    OP
    N

So, petsmart is useless and doesn't have any of the medicines you recommended. I'll do a salt bath this afternoon for 5 minutes and another in the morning. I'll stop by a different store while I'm in town tomorrow.

9. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

I recommend doing daily water changes while treating with aquarium salt. Keeping pristine water quality will encourage healing as will the salt and prevent infection.

10. OP
    OP
    N

Thank you all for your help. I'm very sad to say that Jupiter passed away this afternoon. I came home from the store and he was gone. I haven't cried over a fish since I was in middle school, but I cried so hard this afternoon. I've had 2 bettas die this week because of my negligence.

11. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

So sorry to hear that.