Injured betta! Help!!

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by CluelessBettaOwner, Dec 3, 2012.

1. C

CluelessBettaOwner New Member Member

Last night he got caught in the tank divider. It was homemade from binders and mesh. He had tried to get to the other betta through two of the binder rings. But he got stuck. I got him out though.
    His pelvic fins are raggety and torn up. He is missing scales (I think) on his body and one of his pectoral fins are injured. I don't know how but he is keeping it against his side and only using it when absolutely necessary.
    The other fish is now in a temporary tank. I am going to get/borrow a heater tomorrow, because the one for his tank is in the mail.
    But help!! Please!! I don't know what else to do and I want to help him get better. Please respond quickly!!

2. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

Melafix usually helps an injured fish heal themselves faster

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Melafix is generally a no go for bettas as it can coat their labyrinth organ, bettafix is just diluted melafix. I would recommend getting some Kordons fish protector and vita chem to help him heal, also frequent pwcs will help aswell. You can also soak his food in garlic guard or garlic juice or get a food made by mew life spectrum called thera+a, the garlic will help boost his immune system.

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to hear about your Betta. :(

Yes, as already stated, DO NOT USE BETTAFIX/MELAFIX! If you use anything at all, the kordon's fish protector is excellent as it has vitamins & extra slime coat. Keep doing the pwc and once you get that heated, you should just keep an eye out in case he develops an infection.

5. OP
    OP
    C

CluelessBettaOwner New Member Member

Thanks for the help!
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier. My heater and filter arrived and he is one very happy fish. It almost like his not injured.
    He is slowly healing. The cuts on his face are disappearing and he loves his new heater.
    Thanks again!

6. Lilibeth_Seasong

Lilibeth_Seasong Well Known Member Member

Glad he's OK. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice