Injured African Dwarf Frog! Help

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by MaryABeth, Aug 5, 2019.

1. MaryABeth

MaryABethNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,

About two days ago now my ADF got stuck in the filter.

I was able to unplug the pump quickly, avoiding too serious of damage. But his foot clearly got injured. He’s still able to swim around and to get to the top for air. But it’s obvious that he’s not able to expand his foot much at all.

I just feel so terrible for him, it must be so painful. I was wondering if anyone knows of anything I can and/or should be doing for him.

I’ll put a photo from today, it hadn’t been so red until yesterday.

Additionally, does anyone have any tips of how to prevent this from happening in the future? For now I have gravel and moss balls in front of it, but the frogs just seem to love that corner of the tank.

PS: I had read about this happening with the Top Fin Retreat Aquarium. I already had the tank, so I just watched them very closely the first day with no issues. I figured it was fine. Clearly it wasn’t. So, I’d advise anyone thinking of getting this tank or with this tank to do something to avoid this happening to their fish.

Attached Files:

2. LittleBlueGuppy

LittleBlueGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +430
    Experience:
    1 year
    Poor little guy. To prevent it from happening again you can get an intake sponge/prefilter (very cheap) or just rap the intake in some panyhoes or similar mesh (I do this on all my snail tanks).

3. OP
    OP
    MaryABeth

Ratings:
    +3
    I do have a sponge in there. But that’s a good idea with the pantyhose

4. OP
    OP
    MaryABeth

Ratings:
    +3
    But do you think that will work just on that one side? Because the thing about that tank is that whole filter doesn’t come out.

5. OP
    OP
    MaryABeth

Ratings:
    +3
    I’m thinking to get a square filter sponge and put it behind the gravel in front of the intake to keep it in place there.