Initial Stocking Of A Cichlid Tank...advice? Help

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by NittanyFin, Oct 30, 2018.

1. NittanyFin

NittanyFinValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    Okay, I am looking for some advice from all you experts. I'm new to Cichlids, but not the hobby. I have a new 150g tank that is cycling now but am not trying to plot out how to stock it initially. Looking to do the Haps and Peacocks thing (or perhaps I'll go in another direction with mbuna), BUT since it's the initial stocking, my thought process is to buy unsexed juveniles and see what happens. Since I'm looking at buying 50 fish or so, I'm looking to go this route to save some money. Over time, I'll be more selective.

Is this the right approach? Should I consider another route? What do you recommend for an initial stocking strategy? I'm just looking how to initially stock my 150g as it's totally empty at this point.

Thanks.

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,537
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Your idea isnt bad at all. If you want specific species you could also buy groups of 5-6 to try getting 1m/3f. Just keep in mind that if you decide to get a couple species of peacocks all the females look alike so cross breeding may become a problem (if you are looking to breed and sell anyways).

You could also go all male in which case just getting a large mix would be best.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    NittanyFin

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you. I'm not looking to sell and breed at this point, but would like to know what species I have and know what they are. Ideally, I'd like to keep all males but to initially stock a 150g with all adult males could be really costly. So, I was sort of thinking buying juveniles and then watch them grow up. But....what happens when that happens and the aggression kicks in with the females?

4. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,537
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You remove the females when they are large enough to sex. You can vent fish and accurately sex them when they are around 2.5in long.

On livefishdirect you can buy groups of haps/peacocks and I believe you can ask for all males. I suggest you do something like that rather than picking and choosing individuals from a pet store. Even with shipping I’d guess its cheaper to buy in groups.

Edit: to know what species you have you can post photos here when the fish are more mature and we can probably tell what they are. If you order online perhaps ask the vendor to write what they are on the bag.

5. OP
    OP
    NittanyFin

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    Much appreciated Demeter. Thank you for the advice.

6. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,558
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I've gone the juvenile unsexed Peacock / Hap "Grab Bag" route too. The goal; males only. My stategy was to closely observe the display tanks watching for the most aggressive juvies in the tank. Once identified, I lit up their sides with a flashlight looking for color potential. So far so good. 100% sure: Lwanda, Royal Blue, Ngara Flametail, 4x various Dragonbloods (They were easy to ID) Livingstoni & Venustus, males. The Jury is still out on a Sunshine, and a big dark Peacock. Looks like the Red Empress & Sulphur Head Hap are males. Might try my system. Maybe a little unconventional but I've had quite a bit of success. Good luck with the new tank.

7. OP
    OP
    NittanyFin

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks. I heard about the flashlight method before as well. Thanks for the tips!

8. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    Kind of late, but just to point out, I wouldn’t go adding 50 fish at one time.

9. OP
    OP
    NittanyFin

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    Just started
    Not late..I am concerned about that too. My thought was it will prevent some territorial behavior adding them in waves but then the cycle crash may outweigh that.