Initial Advice Please, Planning A Brackish Tank With Mangrove For Gsp In The Future

Discussion in 'Brackish Tanks Forum' started by AZL, Mar 24, 2019.

1. AZL

AZLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi, I've recently had a freshwater community tank re-homed with me and would really like to try a brackish one as well. It's early days for the freshwater tank so I won't be doing this until that has been stable for some time of course but just wanted to run the ideas I have by the community to establish what's possible and what I should be thinking about in the meantime.

With a bit of re-jigging I can fit another 3' or 91 cm tank in here - would that comfortably house a pair of GSP's or am I better off with a single figure 8 and perhaps a shoal or bumblebee gobies? Shop says yes to the former as do some sources online but I would never house fish in the minimum space they require.

I like the idea of planting with mangroves and would do this during cycling so they help the process and so I know the effect salt exuded from the leaves has on the water salinity over time. This would mean rooting them on rocks so the tank can be completely full rather than reducing the volume needed by the fish and building a custom mesh hood so the leaf canopy can be above the tank and to prevent the fish jumping out (or the cats jumping in). My thinking with this is to provide the fish with more interest and hiding places, bolster the filtration as I realise puffers are messy and need perfect water perimeters, and to add some greenery to the room at the same time. Does this sound ok?

Many thanks!

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,995
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to Fishlore sounds like an exciting project, hope our brackish tank keepers can help you today

3. OP
    OP
    AZL

AZLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you! Yes, I'm really keen to embark on this but will ensure I'm knowledgeable enough to do it right before getting started.

4. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +269
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How is the project going?

5. OP
    OP
    AZL

AZLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hahahahaha thanks for asking, it happened much faster than planned - a few months in now! A juvenile GSP needed re-homing and the shop he came from still had the same batch. The re-homed one (Dolos) was in full marine and I had a wealth or guidance as to why this is best for GSP's and how to set it up. He was also ok at his previous home while I set up and cycled a FOWLR tank. When the time came I picked the one from the shop up (Ceris), drip acclimatised her to 1.025 SG, left her in a breeding box floating in the tank, picked up Dolos, dripped him for far less time as no change in SG, then put both in the tank together. I was lucky, they got on straight away and still adore each other, were confident immediately, and eating from day one. They're still little guys but have doubled in size from 1" to 2" and it looks like I'll be upgrading their tank to 400 litres much sooner than planned. As I'm now hooked on marine and setting up a reef tank from scratch at my place of work I'll hopefully have the knowledge to get their new set up just right later this year or early next. I'm absolutely in love, all fish are far smarter than given credit for and puffers are known for intelligence and being interactive but these two are a bit mind blowing. They vocalise and communicate, respond to their names, get into the sort of mischief you'd expect from cats, and overall display an incredible level of awareness and problem solving ability. 1.2.IMG_7508.JPG

6. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +269
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Wow that sounds magical. They are cute together too! I’m glad they had the good fortune to find such a great home.

7. OP
    OP
    AZL

AZLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Experience:
    Just started
    Aw thank you, I hope I'm doing the best with them, so new to fish keeping in general and particularly marine but I'm doing my best to be constantly researching and responding to their needs. They are amazing little creatures!