Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

That's an Iridescent Shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus). They grow huge, around four feet in length, and aren't suitable for most aquaria.

OP
fml123denney

fml123denney

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I looked at Id sharks and he is a lot slimmer than most I've seen. He only eats pellets as far as I know.. any other food he would like. The other two fish just eat flakes but they're active but he is pretty dormant. I'm think tank temp might b down a lot too.. don't have any way to check it yet

Hes in a 125 gallon tank... water wasn't changed in a long time ago I'm doing 10% changes every other day to get nitrates down..

OP
fml123denney

fml123denney

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any other food he would like was a question.. sorry don't know how to edit on tapatalk yet

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He probably looks slim because he is malnutrition and is dealing with the high nitrates in his tank. Activity in ID sharks is not usually very high when they are not in a school. They're extremely social. The temp could also be an issue. They are pretty sensitive to temp. You could probably get a glass thermometer for your tank at any petstore. I've seen them at dollar stores as well. You could use a candy maker thermometer if you had one on hand. These guys prefer temps around 78-80*F in my experience. Do you have a heater in the tank?

Hm... food wise you should try feeding it some frozen foods. Frozen bloodworms were a hit with mine.

OP
fml123denney

fml123denney

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He is really skittish and crazy so he fits the description of Id. He is white on bottom then silver and black on top. I'm trying to get a heater.
Tank was in bad shape when I got it. I put some prime in it today when I did a 10% WC. He is moving a little more now. He's been eating sinking wafers. Where do I get the bloodworms at? LFS?? Hard to get a picture the better the water gets the more he moves.. not complaining

I have two other fish I cannot identify.. anybody wanna try? I'll get another pic of the unknown fish also

Attachments

OP
fml123denney

fml123denney

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Had to use flash on the shark.. turned the lights on and he took cover. That's all my fish in my 125 gallon. I want to get the tank in order and add some plants and more stock. But I don't know what I have so can't pick anymore stock.

Attachments

Landozer18

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
the one on the right looks like a very unhappy boesman rainbow fish. The other is hard to see maybe another kind of rainbow. Get a thermometer for the tank

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not a Boesemani Rainbow. That's a Turquoise Rainbow (Melanotaenia lacustris). But that is a Giant Danio (Devario aequipinnatus). Actually SK I think my first guess was incorrect. That picture is making me think Columbian Shark (Hexanematichthys seemanni). They can get quite dark.

bryce1217

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thats a turquoise rainbow fish, not a boesemani. bosemani have more yellow and sometimes a little orange. the other is a giant danio. they both school and need at least 5 to properly school and be less stressed (just a little advice).
hope this helped!

Landozer18

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
With the tank coniditions everythings stressed guys that could be a boesman and that might be stressed and just starting to develope colors.

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not a Boesemani Rainbow. That's a Turquoise Rainbow (Melanotaenia lacustris). But that is a Giant Danio (Devario aequipinnatus). Actually SK I think my first guess was incorrect. That picture is making me think Columbian Shark (Hexanematichthys seemanni). They can get quite dark.
The thing with the shark is that even adult 4ft ID sharks seem to just have TINY little barbels. This guy has average size barbels for a cat his size which is why i said Columbian, i just wasn't sure if they could get that color contrast.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The thing with the shark is that even adult 4ft ID sharks seem to just have TINY little barbels. This guy has average size barbels for a cat his size which is why i said Columbian, i just wasn't sure if they could get that color contrast.
Yeah, I was going off of the color and general shape in the first picture. But the second picture you can see that the head is shaped slightly differently. Barbel length varies with ID sharks to be honest. Some have really long ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom