Inheriting tank...id my fish plz

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by fml123denney, Jan 11, 2013.

1. fml123denneyNew MemberMember

Maybe two years old. About 10 inches long Hides a lot. Skittish.. new to the fish hobby.

Attached Files:

2. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

That's an Iridescent Shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus). They grow huge, around four feet in length, and aren't suitable for most aquaria.

3. fml123denneyNew MemberMember

I looked at Id sharks and he is a lot slimmer than most I've seen. He only eats pellets as far as I know.. any other food he would like. The other two fish just eat flakes but they're active but he is pretty dormant. I'm think tank temp might b down a lot too.. don't have any way to check it yet

Hes in a 125 gallon tank... water wasn't changed in a long time ago I'm doing 10% changes every other day to get nitrates down..

4. fml123denneyNew MemberMember

Any other food he would like was a question.. sorry don't know how to edit on tapatalk yet

5. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

He probably looks slim because he is malnutrition and is dealing with the high nitrates in his tank. Activity in ID sharks is not usually very high when they are not in a school. They're extremely social. The temp could also be an issue. They are pretty sensitive to temp. You could probably get a glass thermometer for your tank at any petstore. I've seen them at dollar stores as well. You could use a candy maker thermometer if you had one on hand. These guys prefer temps around 78-80*F in my experience. Do you have a heater in the tank?

Hm... food wise you should try feeding it some frozen foods. Frozen bloodworms were a hit with mine.

6. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Thats either a Columbian or a channel. The barbels are too big for a ID.

7. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Larger they get the bigger the barbels are usually. A picture without the glare would really help though.

8. fml123denneyNew MemberMember

He is really skittish and crazy so he fits the description of Id. He is white on bottom then silver and black on top. I'm trying to get a heater.
    Tank was in bad shape when I got it. I put some prime in it today when I did a 10% WC. He is moving a little more now. He's been eating sinking wafers. Where do I get the bloodworms at? LFS?? Hard to get a picture the better the water gets the more he moves.. not complaining

I have two other fish I cannot identify.. anybody wanna try? I'll get another pic of the unknown fish also

Attached Files:

9. fml123denneyNew MemberMember

Had to use flash on the shark.. turned the lights on and he took cover. That's all my fish in my 125 gallon. I want to get the tank in order and add some plants and more stock. But I don't know what I have so can't pick anymore stock.

Attached Files:

10. EthanWell Known MemberMember

the smaller one looks like a giant danio... and the other KIND OF looks like a rainbowfish big if on the rainbowfish lol

11. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

the one on the right looks like a very unhappy boesman rainbow fish. The other is hard to see maybe another kind of rainbow. Get a thermometer for the tank

12. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Rogue is right, thats an ID shark, the others are boesman rainbow and a giant danio. Both need schools of 6+.

13. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Not a Boesemani Rainbow. That's a Turquoise Rainbow (Melanotaenia lacustris). But that is a Giant Danio (Devario aequipinnatus). Actually SK I think my first guess was incorrect. That picture is making me think Columbian Shark (Hexanematichthys seemanni). They can get quite dark.

14. bryce1217Valued MemberMember

thats a turquoise rainbow fish, not a boesemani. bosemani have more yellow and sometimes a little orange. the other is a giant danio. they both school and need at least 5 to properly school and be less stressed (just a little advice).
    hope this helped!

15. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

With the tank coniditions everythings stressed guys that could be a boesman and that might be stressed and just starting to develope colors.

16. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

? Boesemani are never blue. Just look up Turquoise and you'll see the resemblance.

17. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

The thing with the shark is that even adult 4ft ID sharks seem to just have TINY little barbels. This guy has average size barbels for a cat his size which is why i said Columbian, i just wasn't sure if they could get that color contrast.

18. EthanWell Known MemberMember

well i was the first one to nail it do i get a prize? :eek:

19. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Giant Danios are easy XP. They're like maybe 1 point. Now, IDing a fish that has no common name or definite scientific name, that is point worthy.

20. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah, I was going off of the color and general shape in the first picture. But the second picture you can see that the head is shaped slightly differently. Barbel length varies with ID sharks to be honest. Some have really long ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice