120 Gallon Tank inherited 125 gallon tank - now what? pics

kenzone

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I posted in the "welcome to fishlore" area about the tank that I inherited when I moved into my new house. I wanted to add the first couple photo's.

The tank is brand new, 125 gallon, built on a solid stand in the work room of my basement. A hole in the wall allows you to view the tank from the main living area of the basement.

You will notice I do not even have water in the tank yet. I am going to try and continue to post pic's as my tank evolves.

I'm hoping to get a set of Aqua Clear 110 filters this weekend and add water. I will cycle for several weeks testing daily. I will be adding plants and other decorations during this time also.

My hope is to actually have some feeder fish and other hardy fish in by Thanksgiving, with more by the end of the year.

More pic's to come...

Attachments

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aaaaaaaaaand, it's official! I am INSANELY jealous!! When I get ready to buy a house, I hope I "inherit" a big tank like that!

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The most I ever inherited with a house was a bunch of old christmas tree ornaments.....

That is a most excellent tank. And I love the way it fits into the wall.

sarahphim1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice! I love tanks that are in walls-it's always so "clean" looking....no cords everwhere or fish food sitting alongside it lol. Can't wait to see as it progresses!

OP
kenzone

kenzone

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
**Update

New pic's...see first post for the new pic's.

We finally have some wall paper my kids picked out, gravel, and a few plants and decorations...oh yea and water!!

I put in 2 new Aqua Clear 110 HOB filters and they are working GREAT!! Water has been perfectly clear for a week now.

I've been treating the water with conditioner to neutralize the chlorine and I'm adding biological supplements to help establish safe water.

I have a 500w heater coming this week, then I plan on adding a few feeder fish. By Thanksgiving I hope to have more fish...Any Suggestions?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking good Kenzone!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Have fun.

Ken

sanjin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Why are you planning on putting in feeder fish? It is easy to introduce disease to your tank with feeder fish, as they are often kept in much less than ideal conditions.

Do you have an idea of any of the fish you would ultimately like to keep in there? I'm really enjoying rainbow fish at the moment. Big tanks are ideal for them, as many can get 5 inches long, and they are active schoolers. We have a few boesemanI rainbows in ours right now, and will be getting more to round out the school. One of the males has started showing some of his adult coloring now. I can't wait til they get bigger and show more of it.

BettaBuddy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I should have built my 55 gallon into the wall. It would have been PERFECT like this. We had a brick wall that came up to my waist. I should have built it into the wall. I'm also insanely jealous! Yours is beautiful!

rae64

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks beautiful! Just an idea, it might be neat to extend that background into the tank a bit. If you have some kind of rock-dealers near you, with REAL rocks, you can buy river rock VERY cheap. I payed less than $15 for over 50lbs of river rocks, just like those in you background. It would be cool to stack some in the back of the tank to make the background merge with the rest of the tank

OP
kenzone

kenzone

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
sanjin said:
Why are you planning on putting in feeder fish? It is easy to introduce disease to your tank with feeder fish, as they are often kept in much less than ideal conditions.

Do you have an idea of any of the fish you would ultimately like to keep in there? I'm really enjoying rainbow fish at the moment. Big tanks are ideal for them, as many can get 5 inches long, and they are active schoolers. We have a few boesemanI rainbows in ours right now, and will be getting more to round out the school. One of the males has started showing some of his adult coloring now. I can't wait til they get bigger and show more of it.

Thank you for the advice...it was a suggestion someone else had given me, but I've been second guessing it. Your suggestion of Rainbow fish is excellent, I will look into them. Other fish that I'm comtemplating are Cichlid and Parrot Fish.

OP
kenzone

kenzone

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
rae64 said:
Looks beautiful! Just an idea, it might be neat to extend that background into the tank a bit. If you have some kind of rock-dealers near you, with REAL rocks, you can buy river rock VERY cheap. I payed less than $15 for over 50lbs of river rocks, just like those in you background. It would be cool to stack some in the back of the tank to make the background merge with the rest of the tank

I like the idea, and yes we do have rock dealers that carry river rock. With the size of the tank, it's hard to put too much decoration in. I'll look into it and continue to post pic's as things change. Thanks for the advice.

sarahphim1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow that looks really nice! So many options for fish to choose from! Have fun with that

OP
kenzone

kenzone

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
**Update

A friend suggested I introduce some hardy "feeder fish" from his personal stock. He gave me 6 Red Rosy's, I've attached a new pic to the beginning of this thread of 2 of them. It's been 3 days and they are doing great so far, very active little guys. I still have no heater, but these fish do well in the 65 degree (approximately) water.

DC3741

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You should make an all cory catfish tank. I love those, they are by far my favorite type of fish. You could have like a lot in there!

sanjin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Feeders your friend raised himself should be fine. I'm unfamiliar with red rosies - is that a type of minnow? They're cute.

konstargirl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hehe..I want a tank as big as that! Maybe a bit smaller though. :#

Anyways.. You can do a lot of things. A African cichild tank, A community tank, Maybe have a Oscar tank etc... Hehe.. So much you can do to this tank that large, except for hacving a pacu tank or any of the "monster" fish...

New Threads