Information from Our Conure Experts Question

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Cupid is pretty young. He's a little more than 3 months old. The last conure I had was two years old when I got her and we never worked with talking. She had too many behavioral issues that we concentrated on.

Does anyone know how old they are when they're able to talk?

I'm using certain phrases often, like when he drops his ball, I'm saying "uh-oh" so he can communicate with me if he needs me to get him something. Right now, he's playing "make the human go fetch", which is fine. I'm sure I'll regret it later, though.

2. Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

I have never had a conure but I have a young p'let...he is just over a year old and has been talking for about 6-7 months now. I talk nonstop to him and when interacting with him I will repeat certain things over and over..."What did YOU do??" , " Whatcha doin' ", "Thank you" and he says quite a few things. I expect him to call me a feather duster...silly bird or a bird brain someday...lol. My hubby was trying to get him to say Good boy the other day and when my Hubby said Good boy the p'let answered him with " thank you" ...we busted up over that one..it was cute. ... My advise is to talk talk talk...and then talk....lol

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I think we can handle the talk, talk, talk:p It's my forte.

You have a parrotlet? My daughter is trying to decide between a cockatiel and a parrotlet. We have breeders of both close by us.

What are their personalities like? Are they more "sit back and watch" or "get in the middle of everything"?

4. Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

Mine is a character... but he is a one person bird. They can be quite nippy and he was very bitey at first. I had to handle him with gloves! Mind you he was not purchased from a breeder he was from Petco. He had been hand fed for what that is worth. Some breeders feed em and stuff em back in the cage...to me that is not much good they need to be hand fed / socialized for that to matter. I have no idea how much sociallizing he had before me. I do know he was the fav of the staff of the store out of the 3 they had in stock. He loves to be in the middle of what I am doing and can be a bit demanding at times. Very much a big bird in a little body. He will reluctantly go to other members of the family but not always without a bite to tell them he really does not want to be there...lol. He rarely bites me now and when he does it is not hard. He hangs off my arm when I am getting the birds breakfast and chatters at me .. I think he is giving directions of what to add and how to be faster...lol. He jumps on my keyboard and trys to help me type...no bird poop will not help me type faster!! He also will climb down onto my cross stitch to "help" But Mom the thread was just hanging there.. I thought it needed to be clipped...lol. He can be a handful but I would never trade him for the world.

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you VERY MUCH for that information:;hf! We'll definitely have a lot of research and talking to different breeders and parrotlet owners before she makes her final decision.

6. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I had a cockatiel for 14 years. She was my baby. I hand raised her (and her two clutchmates) from day one. She and her sister were fairly laid back and calm - as long as they could see you they were pretty much fine. Their brother was a bit more active and the lady who bought him just loved him. He had his own plate at the table at mealtimes and was rarely in his cage. The sister cockatiel went to my younger sister and I kept Rascal. She loved to chew on strings and threads - they were like her chewing gum. She never actually swallowed any (thank goodness), but she loved to chew it into a little ball. Cockatiels are not much at talking, although the males will learn. They are more likely to pick up whistles from what I understand, and the males are more likely to than the females. My rascal was very much a cuddler. Her favorite place was under my chin or tucked under my hair up on my shoulder against my neck.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello BB. Our member Lorabell has a lot of avian experience and has some beautiful birds of all different species. She may be able to give you some good tips.
    I'm sorry, did I miss the photo thread? LOL
    Take care!
    Ken

8. lorabell Well Known Member Member

awwwwwwwwwwwe...thanks Ken!!!!! and I just love parrolettes.....I do beleive they are much more involved to be and stay nice..but with the tons of time ,and love and care they would get in that house...lol....it would just have no choice but to be sweet!!!!!I beleive the expression is ..the tiniest bird with the BIGGEST attitude...lol....meaning even though they r so little...they have as much going on as a macaw!!!!!!Maybe if u know some breeders with them...u could get one still on handfeeding and finish it out youurselves...that would help a lot also ....GOOD LUCK U guys...lol...and keep me posted...

9. Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

You are SOO right....they are like the chihuahuas of the parrot world. Very much unaware of their little size. Here is a pic of mine.

10. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I love the blue! I have not ever seen a parrotlet this color before. Beautiful!

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you all!

Fishies-for-me your parrotlet is too precious! We were at a bird show this past weekend and after both Shelby and I talking to a few breeders of parrotlets, she's decided that a parrotlet is not for her.

Thanks everyone for your responses and replies. There's no better research on different species of animals than speaking to those who have them.

12. Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

I am glad she has decided that they are not for her before she has gotten one. They can be a handful for sure and when they bite they hurt. I would not trade mine for the world. I did research before I bought but a lot of the info is wrong out there in my opinion and if I had of known they are such one person birdies I may not of gotten him. I am the only one that can handle him without a lot of drama. He is a pest and a pain in the butt and a joy and a delightful little bundle of attitude all rolled up into a feather duster the size of a small sparrow. ..lol. They are definitely not for everyone !! I hope she finds the bird of her dreams out there.

13. Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

He is a male blue mutation pacific parrotlet. He is one of 3 ( 1 blue male , 1 blue female and 1 yellow male) that I saw at a pet store...went home and did some research on them and then went back and got one last Feb. Hubby got him for me for V'day. Under his wings and on his back he is a dark colbalt blue....very striking!! After his last molt his face has really turned that lovely shade and his eye patches have developed. He is my pride and joy!! Thank you for the comps!

14. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks. She's looking into cockatiels and yellow-sided green-cheeked conures right now. I won't be getting the bird for her until Spring, so we're taking advantage of that time for research. Cupid is my yellow-sided green-cheek and he ADORES her. But she gets concerned when he bites me. I'm trying to explain to her that any bird can and will bite, they will test the boundaries we set for them just like any other animal and they have to be taught how to behave just like any other animal.

15. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Even when they are taught, they can still have their "moods". I still have a scar on the second joint of my pinkie finger where Rascal bit me - and I raised her!

16. lorabell Well Known Member Member

your baby is geogeous!!!!!! what a little cutie!!!!!