Info on sponge filters vs corner (box) filters

tommy jr.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am looking at setting up a rack with 40 gallon breeders, 20 gallon longs, and 10 gallon tanks for breeding pairs, and fry etc.
I bought aqua clears (with pre filters) for them all but now am thinking I would be better with one main air pump unit to run corner filters or sponge filters instead so this brings me to my question.....

I can't decide on sponge filters or corner filters for them all.
What are the pros and cons to using either of these types of filters and what would be best ???

**note sponge filters would run around $14 each and replacement sponge 4 dollars each
corner filters are $4 each and I have poret foam I could cut to go in each plus I have lots of bio balls and ceramics on hand as well as lots of filter floss etc.

So what way is best????

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a central air pump for my tanks also. You can get sponge filters a lot cheaper than that, try angelsplus, or angelfishusa.net. The benefit to corner filters is the choice of media, but either way works so whatever you can get a better deal on I reckon.

Disc61

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah not sure where your pricing sponges but thats pretty high, about double what i pay from Kensfish.com
depending what sizes ( and you get a better price for buying 6-10 and even better for more than that) it is around $7 and replacement sponges are $2-$4.

tommy jr.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was looking at a local shop here in Manitoba.
So price aside, what filters are better?
I see most corner filters are only rated to around 20 or so gallons but also noticed that when looking at a hydro sponge 4 and 5 that the actual hardware looks the same? To me the only difference is sponge size, is that correct?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pretty much, not sure if it applies to the hydro sponges but a larger pore size allows for more water flow while the smaller pore size traps smaller debris and likewise clogs faster.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom