Info on sponge filters vs corner (box) filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by tommy jr., Dec 21, 2012.

1. t

tommy jr. Valued Member Member

I am looking at setting up a rack with 40 gallon breeders, 20 gallon longs, and 10 gallon tanks for breeding pairs, and fry etc.
    I bought aqua clears (with pre filters) for them all but now am thinking I would be better with one main air pump unit to run corner filters or sponge filters instead so this brings me to my question.....

I can't decide on sponge filters or corner filters for them all.
    What are the pros and cons to using either of these types of filters and what would be best ???

**note sponge filters would run around $14 each and replacement sponge 4 dollars each
    corner filters are $4 each and I have poret foam I could cut to go in each plus I have lots of bio balls and ceramics on hand as well as lots of filter floss etc.

So what way is best????

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I have a central air pump for my tanks also. You can get sponge filters a lot cheaper than that, try angelsplus, or angelfishusa.net. The benefit to corner filters is the choice of media, but either way works so whatever you can get a better deal on I reckon.

3. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

yeah not sure where your pricing sponges but thats pretty high, about double what i pay from Kensfish.com
    depending what sizes ( and you get a better price for buying 6-10 and even better for more than that) it is around $7 and replacement sponges are $2-$4.

4. OP
    OP
    t

tommy jr. Valued Member Member

I was looking at a local shop here in Manitoba.
    So price aside, what filters are better?
    I see most corner filters are only rated to around 20 or so gallons but also noticed that when looking at a hydro sponge 4 and 5 that the actual hardware looks the same? To me the only difference is sponge size, is that correct?

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Pretty much, not sure if it applies to the hydro sponges but a larger pore size allows for more water flow while the smaller pore size traps smaller debris and likewise clogs faster.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice