Info on bristlenose pleco please!

Tpane27

I have 29 gallon and added one albino bristlenose pleco. The info at the store said 1.5 inches for length. Is this correct? I’ve read online they can get up to five inches and read some stories of one getting an african dwarf frog stuck under it and killing it. I have an african dwarf frog.

toran

Hi, I don't know about the frog, never heard that yet I suppose if the pleco unintentionally landed on him and didn't move for awhile it could be possible. I think the struggle from the frog may cause the pleco to move. They aren't aggressive. Five inches is the correct length not 1.5 inches.

mattgirl

Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avatar is about 5.5 inches long now. He is about the normal size for an albino bristle nose when full grown. He is about 5 years old now. He is a gentle creature and never bothers any of his tank mates. Hopefully yours will be too and your frog will be safe. I have to think one hurting a frog would be a total accident and not something that would happen very often.

Rockymountainstream

Only keep one for your tank as it may attract others of the same species

Tpane27

toran said:
Hi, I don't know about the frog, never heard that yet I suppose if the pleco unintentionally landed on him and didn't move for awhile it could be possible. I think the struggle from the frog may cause the pleco to move. They aren't aggressive. Five inches is the correct length not 1.5 inches.
That’s a lot bigger than I thought. Is my tank too small? 29 gallons

Tpane27

mattgirl said:
Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avatar is about 5.5 inches long now. He is about the normal size for an albino bristle nose when full grown. He is about 5 years old now. He is a gentle creature and never bothers any of his tank mates. Hopefully yours will be too and your frog will be safe. I have to think one hurting a frog would be a total accident and not something that would happen very often.
Is my tank too small? It’s 29 gallons

Fisch

It depends on the fish you plan to stock beside the BN. Beside the frogs, what are your plans?

mattgirl

Tpane27 said:
Is my tank too small? It’s 29 gallons
Personally I wouldn't have a problem if I had to put Elbert in a 29 gallon. I would have the tank over filtered. His size wouldn't be a problem but his bio-load might be. Plecos are heavy waste producers so the smaller the tank the more filtration it needs.

How well it works out also depends on what other fish you plan on having in this tank.

Nessaf

Yep 4-5 inches and they do poop a lot. I do frequent water changes on my grow out tank full of plecos and over filter.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom