Info on breeding africian ciclids

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by melovefish, Dec 18, 2012.

1. m

melovefish Valued Member Member

I looking for info on breeding africian ciclids. I plan on haveing a 55 gallon display tank, 10 gallon fry, and a 29 gal grow out. can they spit out there eggs an a breeder or do i have to do it by hand well guess any ifos good Thanks!

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

Any specific type of African? I assume you mean mouth-brooders since you asked if they could spit them out.
    Personally I don't think you have enough tank space to breed them. You'll need at least another 55g for a growout.
    They can spit out their eggs but it is more common for them to swallow their eggs. They normally only do this when frightened or stressed. Younger females may do it more often than older ones. Once the female picks up the fertilized eggs she will stop eating and protect the eggs until they hatch. Then she will keep the babies in her mouth until they are old enough to swim about. Some females keep their fry for a long time and some go off and breed again as soon as the fry can swim. You can strip a female of her fry or eggs. Often, when breeders was maximum amount of fry from a batch, they will do this and either use an egg tumbler to hatch the eggs or they will strip the female of already hatched fry.

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

There are video tutorials I have seen of people stripping mouthbrooder fry. I don't know if they are Africans. I wouldn't rush into breeding. Research, have more tanks/space/equipment then you need amd start slowly. There isn't any $$ in breeding fish small scale, so if you are doing it for enjoyment that is the way to go :)

4. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

I think you are on the right track with what you have going on. keep the female with her eggs in the display for atleast four days. move her to the ten gallon with a sponge filter. she'll release the fry just after 20 to 25 days. or you'll have to shake them out. after a week put her in the 29 until shes to her normal self. feed the fry something like new life spectrum 1mm pellets up to 6 times a day for the fastest growths. hope this is helpful;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice