Info For Breeding Dwarf Gouramis

tetratetris

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello!

Dwarf gouramis are one of my favriote fiah and I found this wrticle on breeding them.
Hope this helps anyone who needs it!

“Lowering the water level to 6 to 8 inches and raising the water temperature to 82 F will trigger spawning. Vegetation is essential as males build their bubble nest using plant material, which they binds together with bubbles. Nests are very elaborate and sturdy, reaching several inches across and an inch deep. For aquarium plants, Limnophila aquatica, Riccia fluitans, Ceratopteris thalictroides, and Vesicularia dubyana, are good choices for the breeding tank. You can also offer peat fiber as a building material.....”

How to sex them and a bubble nest photo!

Males are generally larger than the females and more vividly colored.

As males reach maturity, they develop elongated dorsal and analfins that come to a point. In females, these fins are shorter and rounded.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Back in the 60s and 70s, Dwarf Gouramis were easily and frequently aquarium bred. This started to die out when the Flame Gourami was introduced, as the original breeder of that fish would only sell males. Somewhere along the line commercial breeders realized that only selling males removed the competition of hobbyist breeding, and stopped selling females of even regular Dwarf Gouramis. Only in the last 5 years or so have I been able to get females again, but many of those are pretty weak or even deformed, possibly because they are from hybridized lines.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom