Info Before You Buy Flourish And Ferts In General

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As you know I have been a user of the Seachem line for a very long time. But like many things I have no loyalty to them. It is simply a product to fill a need. I am approaching the time that I will be needing to order more 2 and 4 liter bottles. The cost is not insignificant.

I am always looking for a more cost efficient way of accomplishing my goals. This thread is helpful in that regard.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As you know I have been a user of the Seachem line for a very long time. But like many things I have no loyalty to them. It is simply a product to fill a need. I am approaching the time that I will be needing to order more 2 and 4 liter bottles. The cost is not insignificant.

I am always looking for a more cost efficient way of accomplishing my goals. This thread is helpful in that regard.
Thank you for the words Thunder. Chemically speaking I have no doubt that each Seachem fertilizer is high quality. I too am looking at moving away from liquid ferts, regardless of the higher macro/micro composition of some, as the fact is they are still mostly water. The flexibility of dry dosing is looking very appealing to me right now.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for the words Thunder. Chemically speaking I have no doubt that each Seachem fertilizer is high quality. I too am looking at moving away from liquid ferts, regardless of the higher macro/micro composition of some, as the fact is they are still mostly water. The flexibility of dry dosing is looking very appealing to me right now.
The cost is getting out of hand for me. With the aquariums I have and the lights (the 150 tall has a Finnex plant 24/7 CC and a Current plant plus pro) the plants are consuming the ferts at an alarming rate. I have backed off on the feeding to see what would happen, and the plants are showing the results. Pin holes (they do love their potassium) and the red myrio in the 150 is thinning in the bottom half. So I brought the ferts back up. I have enough for about a month. I need to solve this before I place another large order.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The cost is getting out of hand for me. With the aquariums I have and the lights (the 150 tall has a Finnex plant 24/7 CC and a Current plant plus pro) the plants are consuming the ferts at an alarming rate. I have backed off on the feeding to see what would happen, and the plants are showing the results. Pin holes (they do love their potassium) and the red myrio in the 150 is thinning in the bottom half. So I brought the ferts back up. I have enough for about a month. I need to solve this before I place another large order.
The other stickied fertilizer guide in this subsection has some basic info on dry dosing EI:
A Beginner's Guide To Fertilisers

Very knowledgeable user, unfortunately no longer an active account for some reason. Which means we won’t get an update on the other dry dosing method, PPS pro, but perhaps other internet resources will have something on it

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@-Mak- thank you for making this post! I've been doing research on plants alot lately. But none on fertilizer! I just have one question. If I got a variety of "beginner" type plants, will thrive work for all the plants? Or will I need to do more if I have lots of plants? I grew legal cannabis a while back, so I understand the NPK ratio a bit and how plants need light and fertilizer etc. I ain't no scientist though so I never got a full grasp on it! Haha but again thanks so much you've helped me tons!

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@-Mak- thank you for making this post! I've been doing research on plants alot lately. But none on fertilizer! I just have one question. If I got a variety of "beginner" type plants, will thrive work for all the plants? Or will I need to do more if I have lots of plants? I grew legal cannabis a while back, so I understand the NPK ratio a bit and how plants need light and fertilizer etc. I ain't no scientist though so I never got a full grasp on it! Haha but again thanks so much you've helped me tons!
For sure Thrive will! You may not even need regular Thrive, ThriveC is good for very low tech setups. The only thing to note is that if you have soft water (below 5 GH), a GH booster is probably needed regardless of the type of liquid fertilizer you use

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For sure Thrive will! You may not even need regular Thrive, ThriveC is good for very low tech setups. The only thing to note is that if you have soft water (below 5 GH), a GH booster is probably needed regardless of the type of liquid fertilizer you use
Awesome man thanks! And I'm thinking of getting a really good led light but that's all haha so would we call that medium tech? Hahaha jk. I know my water is quite hard! Calcium build up on everything here.

Hey do you use led? Any brands you would recommend? I've heard of the watt per gallon rule but can't find any leds that powerful at lfs

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Awesome man thanks! And I'm thinking of getting a really good led light but that's all haha so would we call that medium tech? Hahaha jk. I know my water is quite hard! Calcium build up on everything here.

Hey do you use led? Any brands you would recommend? I've heard of the watt per gallon rule but can't find any leds that powerful at lfs
My favorite that I've used is Chihiros, which is sort of like a discount ADA looking thing but actually puts out good PAR levels for the price. It fits best on rimless tanks though. Also remember that powerful light with no CO2 leads to algae.

Watts per gallon is outdated, PAR is what you're looking for as watts don't have to correspond to intensity. This is an excellent read
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/184368-lighting-aquarium-par-instead-watts.html

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My favorite that I've used is Chihiros, which is sort of like a discount ADA looking thing but actually puts out good PAR levels for the price. It fits best on rimless tanks though. Also remember that powerful light with no CO2 leads to algae.

Watts per gallon is outdated, PAR is what you're looking for as watts don't have to correspond to intensity. This is an excellent read
Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts - The Planted Tank Forum
Thanks for the read man! Definitely makes sense. I used to grow legal cannabis and I did tons of research on led grow lights. I have a few of them but they are like 100 watts and you cannot look at them at all lool way to bright for fish! I'll definitely be doing research on aquarium grow lights now haha

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the read man! Definitely makes sense. I used to grow legal cannabis and I did tons of research on led grow lights. I have a few of them but they are like 100 watts and you cannot look at them at all lool way to bright for fish! I'll definitely be doing research on aquarium grow lights now haha
Glad to help! I'm the one here who knows nothing abut terrestrial grow lights haha. There are some monster aquarium lights that you definitely should not look at as well.

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have been using liquid fert's for over 10 years. i use Thrive, iron, potassium, nitrogen, excel, phosphorus and advance.
I also use root tabs.
My plants seem to do very well.
I do not use co2, Lights on about 7 hrs a day

koigal

Reaction score
I have been using liquid fert's for over 10 years. i use Thrive, iron, potassium, nitrogen, excel, phosphorus and advance.
I also use root tabs.
My plants seem to do very well.
I do not use co2, Lights on about 7 hrs a day
Are all those you use different products or one with all that in it?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom