Info: Air stone tubing

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by grfresconero, Dec 28, 2012.

1. grfresconero

grfresconeroValued MemberMember

Hi just some info on how i air filter my tank`s cheaplly .My wife work`s at the local hospital and you now how they
    use iv tubing there well i do also for my tank`s with the choker as to contol the air flow. what do you think???
    PS.. make it as long as you want...

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

It the tubing connected to some type of pump? Are you using this idea to provide more oxygen simply as air flow or are you using it for filtration?

If you can share some photos that would be great. :)

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    grfresconero

Is that OK .Both what ever the occasion arises it`s simple and as you see also multiply`s on any pump.

Attached Files:

4. Aquarist

Hello,

If it's working and you are getting the results you wanted, I do not see a need to make any changes. :) The hospital tubing is probably sterile and better than what we can buy in fish stores. :)

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    grfresconero

Thank`s Ken my name is Con as in Constantine Greek from assieland down/under.

6. Aquarist

Nice to meet you Con. :)

Ken

7. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Oi! what's that about down under ? :giggle: just teasing

Like Ken, I agree that if it's working, no problem. One thing worth checking is how that tubing is designed to work submerged in tropical temperatures. I'm sure it's sterile, but submerging things can change the properties. If it is inert to water, you're all good. It's probably silicone, and ok, but just check to be sure.

Also, I wouldn't use it for CO2 - if you ever had ambitions to do so. CO2 tubing is slightly different to standard airline, it has thicker linings to prevent loss of gas.

8. OP
    OP
    grfresconero

Goday mate use to live in Richmond & Nanuwadding .Moved around a lot.
    Checked out & submerged the tubing just goes green with algae the snail`s like it.

9. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

That'd be "G'day" and "Nunawading" :;laughing

Good to see you checked out the tubing - I say if it's free and works, go for it!

10. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

I would say that if human medication can be passed thru it than it would be safe for use. The only concern I would have would be the spot where you pinch down the tubing, in the hospital they toss it regurlarly where as this will be prolonged pressure in one spot of the tube. My concern really isnt that high thou as it is outside the tank and at worst I see it putting a hole in it and slowing your air delivery.

11. OP
    OP
    grfresconero

yeah you are right about the spelling but i was not the best at it. where you from?

12. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Haha! I love "MacGyver'ing" things! :3

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice