Info about African Dwarf Frogs Question

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by tatty_kassy, Apr 16, 2010.

1. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

Hello!
    I bought an African Dwarf Frog for my fishtank 2 days ago, and I was looking through this site to see if I could find some info about them. Is there any? I know there is some about snails and shrimp, I thought there might be some about these frogs.

I just wanted to know if there is anything important I should know about them. The PH of my tank is 7.5, the temp is 78, ammonia and nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 15.
    I have been giving him frozen brine shrimp, although I don't know how much makes it to the gravel as the fish seem to love it too.

I really like having him in my tank, I just want to make sure I am taking proper care of him. :;a1

2. SuaveValued MemberMember

what size is the tank?

3. LucyModeratorModerator Member

:animal0068: Thread moved the amphibian's section of the forum. :)

Here you go:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/amphibians/36417-care-sheet-african-dwarf-frogs.html

Personally, I prefer them in a species only tank.
    They need to get up for air, so they do best in tanks that are 12-18" tall.
    You're going to have to be super careful that he gets enough to eat. The faster fish will get to the food quicker.
    Give him frozen (thawed) blood worms and the occasional frog and tadpole bites.

Have fun with him, they're a lot of fun.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  4. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

It is a 25 gal tank, it has 6 danios, 3 tetras, 1 f guppy, 2 platies, 1 oto catfish. All the occupants are peaceful towards him as far as I have observed. He has a log, a conch shell, a mini fake tower of rocks, and a dense area of fake plants to hide in.
    Half of the time he is fairly out in the open.......I would guess that my tank is maybe 13 inches tall (the water line) so I hope he can get up okay....
    I will check out that info link, Thank you!:)

5. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Your fish are going to outcompete him for food, poor thing. You can try using a turkey baster to target feed him, but I know Lucy has said that sometimes the food is on their noses and they don't see it...
    I don't know that a 25g with fast fish is really a good setup for him. I would consider his own tank, or even returning him.

6. Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Excellent care sheet you put together Lucy!

If you're going to have the ADF in with other fish (particularly those super fast danios) you might want to try spot feeding him. If I recall correctly, ADF's are pretty slow swimmers and have trouble seeing so he might have trouble getting to food before the faster fish gobble it up. I've never spot fed before, but you could use a turkey baster to suck up the food then release it directly in front of him so he can get to it before the others.

7. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Thank you Prince Powder :)

I'll have to take a video of them one day. They know it's dinner time as stare up and worms float down around them. lol
    They lunge, they miss, worms land on them. Silly frogs!

8. trinketWell Known MemberMember

I have my 2 frogs with a betta and they do fine together, except the betta is a little cow and eats all the food he can steal. I was feeding the frogs under a small overturned glass bowl with one edge slightly propped up so the frogs could get in. Well..my fish figured that out and would swim sideways to get in there! Bugger. Now I'm hiding the frog food in some java moss-that seems to help. I also try to spot feed and that works if my fish doesn't snatch it up first, heh.

Just make sure the frogs are eating!

9. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Maybe a 5 gallon for the frog itself? That might work.

Trinket: Never, ever underestimate the intelligence and problem-solving skills of bettas.

10. trinketWell Known MemberMember

Eh heh heh, yeah. It's worked for other people but apparently my betta is a clever thing. :cool:

11. GamerWell Known MemberMember

Got my pellets, frozen bloodworms and turkey baster all ready...I can't wait to get my ADF/s!!!!!! :D That is....when I find them...yeah I went yesterday and all they had were the tooty fruitys (ACFs). :(

12. BeavisMom62New MemberMember

A syringe works well also to target feed. Never used a turkey baster but I know lots of people do. To me, it seems that it would deposit too much food, but as I said, I've never used it. The syringe has always worked well for me. Less waste. They are funny once they figure out that it is food hanging out of the syringe and I'll have two or three of them battling to suck the worms out.

I kept my frogs in a tank with platys (pigs!) and rasboras. I would feed the fish their flakes and while they were eating, I would target feed the frogs at the same time.

13. izzyfishfarmerWell Known MemberMember

if you add a few live plants they will be fine they are great scavengers (from my experience) spot feeding them is not a bad idea tho ive found it to be a lil difficult in a community tank i just make sure mine have a easy access to the top of the tank as they still need air

14. SFwriterValued MemberMember

I feed a lot of tubifex worms in my tank, but I don't just throw the cube in teh water. I hold it underwater to help it hydrate and I rub my fingers back and forth to break up the cube. You will get little clusters floating away and they will settle to the substrate.

If you break up the cube in the same place on the surface every time, any currents from your filter should drive the clusters to roughly the same place every time. The fish can't take the whole cluster in their mouths. They tend to break the clumps up and take only single worms.

The frogs, on the other hand, will learn where these clumps tend to settle and they will "hunt" them. The frogs will chomp down on the cluster and grab a bunch of it in their mouths. If it's too big, they sometimes even use their front "hands" to break the piece away. I have even seen my ADFs challenge my mollies and even my 6" Siamese Algae eaters for worms and win.

15. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

Mine had actually figured out that if he swims up when the fish swim up, he can eat. I just watched him now, I put some worms in and low and behold he swam up there and started eating like the fish!
    So far he is holding his own, he has also figured out that if he wants some private time he can squish past the tank divider and hang out with the lone platy. :)

16. LucyModeratorModerator Member

lol, silly frog! They can really squeeze themselves, can't they!
    I'm glad to hear he's doing well.

17. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

Thank you, I'm glad as well! I was nervous at first because he'd be living with fish but so far its a harmonious tank (with the exception of the lone platy, I've had to permanently separate him. Once my tank is all clear of illness I plan on finding him a home)

So far he is my favorite in the tank :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice