Infested With Pest Snails, Yoyo Help?

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
my community tank is infested with tiny snails, my assassins won’t or can’t eat them I suppose due to size. I have a cpl Corys and a yo-yo loach coming tomorrow. Will the yo-yo eat those little snails in the big tank (it has a pleco in the last two pics). Are these in my shrimp tank pond snails? As they’re also in large numbers fighting my rams horns and spixi snails for food and climbing all over them. I collect the ones on the glass during water changes and throw them away with the water. Is there an easy way to get rid of them all? Also will a yo-yo eat assassin snails? Thanks all

Attachments

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I suspect the reason Yoyos failed me on snail control was they figured they could eat the food at the surface and got fat on that. I think if I would have starved the tank for a week they might have gone after snails.
I'm a bad example for snail control though. Infested tank with yoyos, clowns and assassins.
End solution was yoyos died (I think they ate themselves to death with the exception to one who lost in a food dispute with a large rhino), Clowns moved to a different tank, and snails are now a food source for another tanks new resident who loves snails. I can't get rid of snails, I have just had to move to valuing snails as free food.
I need to build a 35 gal snail pail.

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
I suspect the reason Yoyos failed me on snail control was they figured they could eat the food at the surface and got fat on that. I think if I would have starved the tank for a week they might have gone after snails.
I'm a bad example for snail control though. Infested tank with yoyos, clowns and assassins.
End solution was yoyos died (I think they ate themselves to death with the exception to one who lost in a food dispute with a large rhino), Clowns moved to a different tank, and snails are now a food source for another tanks new resident who loves snails. I can't get rid of snails, I have just had to move to valuing snails as free food.
I need to build a 35 gal snail pail.
Oh really uhhh, was hoping the yo-yo was going to be my solution. Apart from being cute and small enough as an adult unlike the clowns, it was a selling point for me to get one that they love snails. Hopefully this one gets a few at least lol thanks

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh really uhhh, was hoping the yo-yo was going to be my solution. Apart from being cute and small enough as an adult unlike the clowns, it was a selling point for me to get one that they love snails. Hopefully this one gets a few at least lol thanks
My clowns grow slow. Maybe a 1/4-1/2 inch in the last year? They are not even 4" yet and I have had them for at least 2 years. I am not sure they are really growing at all.
My Yoyos were bigger each day and close to 6" when they died. My current yoyo (sold to me as a chain loach) has gone from 2 inches to 4 inches in 2 months.
Yoyos are not shy like my clowns so when there is food they are going to eat all they can and out compete most other fish.
I may be wrong but it may be possible to "rent" clowns from the LFS (not a big box store). Get small ones and then trade them for new small ones when they get to big. Big clowns are worth a lot more than small clowns so maybe even get store credit on top of the trade?
I "rent" rhino plecos from my local LFS for algae work. They get them back when they are 9-13" long and I get new tiny ones. I doubt big rhinos have any real value over babies as they grow so fast, so it is a straight up trade.

Whether you go with yoyos or clowns remember that both need a group of at least 6 to be happy.

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
My clowns grow slow. Maybe a 1/4-1/2 inch in the last year? They are not even 4" yet and I have had them for at least 2 years. I am not sure they are really growing at all.
My Yoyos were bigger each day and close to 6" when they died. My current yoyo (sold to me as a chain loach) has gone from 2 inches to 4 inches in 2 months.
Yoyos are not shy like my clowns so when there is food they are going to eat all they can and out compete most other fish.
I may be wrong but it may be possible to "rent" clowns from the LFS (not a big box store). Get small ones and then trade them for new small ones when they get to big. Big clowns are worth a lot more than small clowns so maybe even get store credit on top of the trade?
I "rent" rhino plecos from my local LFS for algae work. They get them back when they are 9-13" long and I get new tiny ones. I doubt big rhinos have any real value over babies as they grow so fast, so it is a straight up trade.

Whether you go with yoyos or clowns remember that both need a group of at least 6 to be happy.
I’m actually in UK and have never heard of renting a fish here, that’s amazing though and a fab idea! My birthday is next mth and I’ve been bugging my extremely busy fiancé, to move the very large 5ft by 2ft tank over to our house from his dads house. I just said to him ok, for my birthday present I’ve come up with an idea (he’s been asking) I would like you to move the big tank and get it on a stand in our house and for Xmas sort out the extra lights and filters. He said that’s fine I’ll do that then gladly. So, by Xmas I will have am empty fully running fish tank which is 5ft long , so my small 2 ft one now will become a larger shrimp tank once mine breed. And my community fish can go in once it’s fully cycled and will have masses of space and I will get another 5 yo-yos. I also want an angel fish as I always did love the angels, but I wouldn’t get one in a small 2 ft tank. So I am so excited about this ha ha. But yes I definitely will get a group of them and a cpl more corys as I only have 4 at the minute. I’ve never had a tank that large before, but he had 4 tanks running at once in his dads, a guppy tank (2 ft) a 2 fish only tank a large aggressive cichlid that couldn’t live with any others and a large gold fish that would fight with others (4 ft) the big community tank he’s bringing here (now empty 5ft) and a 6 ft marine tank with live coral and lots of marine fish. All tanks are now shut down as he closed them off when he moved out 10 yrs ago. But the big 5 ft is now gonna be mine ha ha. Sorry that was a bit of a novel, I go on when I’m excited ha ha

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How big is your tank? My 100 gallon tank had a pest snail issue and 3 assassin snails took care of the issue over several months. It may not look like they are killing off the pests until one day when you are looking at the tank you notice a bunch of empty tiny shells in there. That tank has Yo-Yo Loachs in it and they leave the assassin snails alone, they are well feed. In another tank I have a dozen Zebra Loachs with assassin snails without any issues.

ShellyB78

Valued Member
Reaction score
How big is your tank? My 100 gallon tank had a pest snail issue and 3 assassin snails took care of the issue over several months. It may not look like they are killing off the pests until one day when you are looking at the tank you notice a bunch of empty tiny shells in there. That tank has Yo-Yo Loachs in it and they leave the assassin snails alone, they are well feed. In another tank I have a dozen Zebra Loachs with assassin snails without any issues.
Right now it’s only 60L I think. Hence the reason I only got one yo-yo. Hopefully when get my 5ft tank set up by Xmas I can sort the snail issues as I’ll be adding more of the yo-yos so they’re in a group. Plus I am changing everything in the big tank, sand substrate not gravel, new plants not the ones from the existing tank so hoping not many will come over with the fish and decor.
If they do 6 yo-yos should pick them off.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom