Infertile sterbai eggs

Fishlady55

I have 12 sterbai cory cats that have started spawning a few months ago. The first several spawnings produced healthy fry but the last four spawns produced duds. The eggs were white and never developed. The only thing that has changed is the Ph. It went from 6.3 to 7. Could this have caused the fertility problems? Tank parameters are as follows- temp 80, no detectable nitrates, kh 2. 20% water changes twice a week with prepared ro di water. I feed a varied diet of flakes, pellets, shrimp pellets and homemade food since I got them five months ago

LowConductivity

I wouldn’t think the change in pH is the cause.

Fishlady55

I wouldn’t think so either but I will gradually bring the Ph back to 6.3 just in case. I have bleher rainbows in the same system in a different tank and they produce fertile eggs I did have to disturb them a few times trimming plants and adding extra shelters a few weeks ago. Could that possibly be the problem?

Fishlady55

Sterbai are still actively spawning but eggs are still non viable. I have replaced my ro sediment filters, carbon, membranes and resin just in case the water is the issue. Strangely, my bleher rainbows in the same are producing lots of healthy eggs.

mattgirl

I don't think the pH change would have caused this. You say you are using RO/DI water. Is it possible you aren't adding enough of the kind of minerals the corys need to produce viable eggs? This is the only thing I can think of that would prevent viable eggs.

Fishlady55

What supplements would you suggest?
My carbonate hardness is at 2
Problem may be solved! A breeder informed me that the sterbai need a break , they need cooler water and less feeding for a few months then they should be good to go!

mattgirl

What supplements would you suggest?
My carbonate hardness is at 2
Problem may be solved! A breeder informed me that the sterbai need a break , they need cooler water and less feeding for a few months then they should be good to go!
What are you using now to remineralize the RO water? I am thinking lots of folks use Equilibrium. I also use it because my tap water is so low in minerals.

I know corys are more prone to laying eggs when the water is cooler but I can't wrap my mind around feeding them less. For some reason that makes no sense to me. I can't see that helping them lay fertile eggs. I can see it happening if they are not getting the vitamins and minerals they need though.

My bronze corys didn't lay any eggs all summer but now that things are cooling down they have gotten busy again. I pulled a java fern leaf with lots of fresh cory eggs on it. I put it in my little hatchery and had lots of cory fry 3 days later. My corys are always fed well. Maybe Sterbai are different?

DoubleDutch

I agree the possible cause is the lack of minerals causing an osmotic difference in eggs vs surrounding water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
A201