Infection?

• Thread starter swimmingslowly
  • Start date

swimmingslowly

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone thought the fading on top of my Bettas body is concerning? I got him almost two weeks ago and he had that color when I got him. I thought it was part of his coloring but now I’m not so sure. I also attached a picture of the side of his head that looks like his scales are somewhat raised.

He is a very spunky and fun fish, still eating normally. I’ve been struggling to get my water parameters under control (pH between 6-6.2) and my tank is not yet cycled. Does anyone have any input on soaking his food in garlic to combat this? I’d like to stay away from meds unless necessary.

Thanks!

Attachments

zaydmusa

Did you get him from a chain store? A lot of time the coloring is mislabeled and they'll slowly convert, like this one. My betta was the same coloration as yours then he switched to 100% blue. Also, to me, the coloration doesn't look white, black, red, or any of the regular diseased colors but I can't see too well. Stress might also cause the color change in the front so make sure you try to cycle your tank as quickly as possible. If he is sick then that is probably why. As long as you acclimated him to the pH he should be fine but you should get Seachem Prime and dose daily since your tank isn't cycled. If you cant do that do daily water changes to remove the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If you haven't already, get some nitrifying bacteria like API Quick Start to speed up the cycle.

zaydmusa

swimmingslowly

zaydmusa said:
Did you get him from a chain store? A lot of time the coloring is mislabeled and they'll slowly convert, like this one. My betta was the same coloration as yours then he switched to 100% blue. Also, to me, the coloration doesn't look white, black, red, or any of the regular diseased colors but I can't see too well. Stress might also cause the color change in the front so make sure you try to cycle your tank as quickly as possible. If he is sick then that is probably why. As long as you acclimated him to the pH he should be fine but you should get Seachem Prime and dose daily since your tank isn't cycled. If you cant do that do daily water changes to remove the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If you haven't already, get some nitrifying bacteria like API Quick Start to speed up the cycle.
Thanks, I did get him from a chain unfortunately. He has been doing well in the ph and I’m going to add some crushed coral to stabilize my KH. I have been dosing with prime and closely monitoring my amm/nit levels. I never thought I could worry this much about a fish!!!

swimmingslowly

Here is another more close up picture, he was expanding his gills while I took this so the right side looks a little enlarged :sour:

Attachments

swimmingslowly

Any other opinions? :nailbiting:

swimmingslowly

UPDATE: It looks like he now has a missing scale or some sort of discolored spot?

My water parameters are 0/0/0, temp is 77. He’s still very active and eating; I placed an IAL in the tank two days ago and I was wondering if I should just wait and see or try adding some aquarium salt?

Attachments

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
If it is that black spot behind the right eye you are talking about, my bettas have a couple spots like that. They are doing just fine! I just stay mindful of those spots and keep the water clean. Especially if he is still behaving like normal.

swimmingslowly

Betta'sAnonymous said:
If it is that black spot behind the right eye you are talking about, my bettas have a couple spots like that. They are doing just fine! I just stay mindful of those spots and keep the water clean. Especially if he is still behaving like normal.
Good to know!

swimmingslowly

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Update: It seems like on the other side of his head there are spots that are also turning a gray-ish color. Any thoughts? I have some IAL in the tank.

Attachments

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
swimmingslowly said:
Update: It seems like on the other side of his head there are spots that are also turning a gray-ish color. Any thoughts? I have some IAL in the tank.
Outside at work right now, will have to take a look when the sun isn't so bright where i am at.

swimmingslowly

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Outside at work right now, will have to take a look when the sun isn't so bright where i am at.
Any chance to peek at the pics yet? I think it might just be him maturing?

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
swimmingslowly said:
Any chance to peek at the pics yet? I think it might just be him maturing?
Assuming your talking about the grey/silver around his mouth? Not sure...i know my purple betta turned like a silverish grey color on his chin shirtly after i got him...did a lot of watching, never acted sick, hasn't spread, just kind of changed colors in that spot. Now it makes him look like an old man!

Guess the question is, is he still acting normal and eating?

swimmingslowly

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Assuming your talking about the grey/silver around his mouth? Not sure...i know my purple betta turned like a silverish grey color on his chin shirtly after i got him...did a lot of watching, never acted sick, hasn't spread, just kind of changed colors in that spot. Now it makes him look like an old man!

Guess the question is, is he still acting normal and eating?
He’s still eating well and acting fine :) I circled the patches I was noticing.

Attachments

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
I think he'll be alright. Probably just bumped on something.

Top Bottom